Honored Contributor

Re: Frederik Backman Fans: News

@LoriLori  I just had a flashback of me in London. Went to a bookstore and my favorite author prevailed there!!! (she was English, Catherine Cookson). I was in book heaven. All of these books I had never heard of! I bought them all-paperbacks. When I started reading them it hit me. I had read them all, under different names in US. In my haste to grab them, I neglected reading the (formerly blah, blah, blah notice) or however it was worded. A real shockeroo. So there they sit in my bookcase, untouched, but it lifts my spirits just to think of them.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, I love that story!  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo wrote:

I wanted to be a Frederik Backman fan, but when I read "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry",  they kept feeding that poor dog chocolate.  Chocolate is poison to dogs, so that ruined the story for me.  I haven't read "A Man Called Ove", but may later on.

When I was a kid I had a poodle named Angel. We didn't know about chocolate being bad for dogs, she ate chocolate and drank cocoa. We were very fortunate, as she lived almost 18 years. When I learned about chocolate later, I was horrified, we were so lucky.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline I think you almost have to be somewhat like Britt-Marie to understand her, I identified with her right away, she is afraid to show the world her true self as her self image is just not there, but you know she has a beautiful heart she just has trouble showing it to people as she has been hurt so much in the past, she puts up the walls to protect herself, I have done that most of my life, so I think Britt-Marie & myself could be soul sisters, LOL!

Respected Contributor

I actually enjoyed the character Britt-Marie, but her practice of feeding a rat Snickers bars repulsed me.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, I have a huge fear of rodents but I hope you don't let the above comment deter you.  Britt-Marie feeding the rat a Snickers is part of her opening herself up to the world and to some of us it's as lovely as it is gross LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@insomniac2 I have read that a few people have had problems with Britt Marie, I loved her, and want him to continue on with her character.  And I actually bought the Grandmother book, and refer back to it often, I am somewhat like Britt Marie, I am  not comfortable in social settings, I am OCD in organization, and cannot stand anything out of place, and love my alone time, I am not as severe as Britt=Marie, but I loved how Fredrick (notice we are on the first name basis) developed Britt-Marie over time, and when I turned the last page that Britt-Marie was featured in, I said aloud I am going to miss you Britt-Marie, I just love everything he writes so much!  Not maybe as much as LoriLori, but almost , LOL!

@CareBears- I also had a problem with Britt-Marie. I tried two times to read it, but I pulled the bookmark when the rat came out. Nothing made sense to me, and I didn't understand what those noisy kids were talking about.

Nope, not for me. I loved Ove but this one...feh.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

I have actually had 3 pet rats, Susie, Katie & Sallie, very loving animals, they each had their own little personalities, I think rats are adoable!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  Since I just read Britt-Marie, I didn't see this reply , but kind of came looking for it and glad you felt like I did about the rat. I loved that part. I guess because I love animals, but there was so much more to it. The woman is so lonely she has to have someone to talk to. And she picks a rat. So cute. It shows what a big heart she has. But dinner at six kills me, hahahahaha

Respected Contributor

My primary issue with the rat is that I believe there would ultimately be a whole mess of them.

Yuck.