Honored Contributor

Re: For readers of "My Lovely Wife"

@Ainhisg wrote:

I have not read Sleeping Dogs Lie, but I have read the other two.  They were both good. I probably liked For Your Own Good better.

ForYour Own Good will be a TV mini series on Netflix this fall. 

Trusted Contributor

@songbird 

Oh wow - Just finished "For Your Own Good" after the many recommendations here and all I can say is, "Thank you!" I did NOT see the ending coming either!

Thank you for letting us know about a Netflix series based on this book - I cannot wait.

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:

@songbird 

Oh wow - Just finished "For Your Own Good" after the many recommendations here and all I can say is, "Thank you!" I did NOT see the ending coming either!

Thank you for letting us know about a Netflix series based on this book - I cannot wait.

There is something very different about Smantha Downing!  Her books always stand out.  My favorite was He Started it.  But I did love For Your Own Good.  I've purchased all of her books.

Trusted Contributor

@songbird
Bought "He Started It" last night on my Kindle and just finished it!
Her books read so fast and I truly cannot put them down when I start them.
Oh wow...I did NOT see that ending coming either!
Thanks for recommending it. 💜
Trusted Contributor

@LuvSoCal
Fascinating post...I never really was bothered by the woman-as-killer angle! I guess there have been so many women killers in books, movies, TV programs and throughout history, that I never thought it was inconceivable.
Trusted Contributor

@beckyb1012
That is so interesting that even your local librarians were chafing at the idea of a woman killer!
The author of My Lovely Wife said in several interviews she based her story on a real kidnapping case from the 1970s in which a man and a woman kidnapped and tortured a young woman.
Honored Contributor

Downing has said she based her books on several unusual real life crimes. But she put twists through them. I think she's the best of mystery/thriller genre.  Her writing and plotting are very clever.