Respected Contributor

Female characters with male names

I read a lot, mostly mysteries of some sort.

I have noticed that it's not unusual for a female character to be given a male nickname.  As a woman, I would NEVER want to be called by a male name.

Example is I am reading something with the main character named Charlotte.  They call her "Charlie."  I have read Alexandra as "Alex," Samantha as "Sam," etc.

I feel everything is for a reason, and I wonder why they do this.

I would NOT EVER want to be called a man's name.

Now, Sue Grafton has it right with "Kinsey Millhone."

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

Re: Female characters with male names

I think they just do it to get attention or to be different.

Honored Contributor

I think that it would be kind of cool. Just the contrast would make me feel more feminine. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I have no idea why they do that, but I will start paying attention.  The books I read are cozies which are murder mysteries without much gore.  The heroine in the one I'm reading now is named Evie.

Trusted Contributor

Well, my name is Rickie.  I'm a female.  Not a nick name.  When I was young it was a little embarrassing.  Everyone would say "That's a boy's name".  I eventually began to like it.  That is me.  It's a strong wonderful name.  I'm proud of it.  I'm 63 years old and I can't imagine having a girl's name.  

Honored Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

Well, my name is Rickie.  I'm a female.  Not a nick name.  When I was young it was a little embarrassing.  Everyone would say "That's a boy's name".  I eventually began to like it.  That is me.  It's a strong wonderful name.  I'm proud of it.  I'm 63 years old and I can't imagine having a girl's name.  

I like your name Rickie !! 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 Thank you!

Honored Contributor

I'm also an avid mystery reader and I think it makes a great deal of sense to give the central female characters strong names and since in our culture, we seem to think men are stonger than women, male names make sense to me.  Those women are working in male-dominated areas -  might as well make use of their male name right along with their brains and their femininity.

Respected Contributor

What's that song?  "I like being a girl."

I would not let MYSELF ever be known with a masculine name!

If my name were "Charlotte," no one would ever call me "Charlie" more than once!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

I am trying to think what your name might be!  Rickie?  I am thinking of that Steely Dan song "Rickie don't lose that number."

Might make a difference if it was YOU who decided on the name rather than others.

Hyacinth