Honored Contributor

Two friends and I were discussing books ----  and trading book "recommendations"  for winter reading and the topic of dystopian novels came up.   Then the discussion turned into how "prophetic" some of them turned out to be.

Have you read any that you'd recommend?

This is my top five.  

1 - Lord of the World – Robert Hugh Benson (1908) *

2 - Anthem  - Ayn Rand  (1938)

3 - 1984 – George Orwell  (1949)

4 - Fahrenheit 451 – Ray Bradbury  (1953)

5 - The Giver -  Lois Lowry (1993) **

*    My favorite.  I plan to read it again.  Sometimes, a books is so engrossing I'm rushing through to find out how it ends.  And, then later - read it agan  - slowly this time.

Respected Contributor

Re: Favorite Dystopian Novels ?

Lord of the Flies

Respected Contributor

Ashes by Ilsa J Bick

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Matched by Ally Condie

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

An Ember In The Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Trusted Contributor

Interesting thread.

The Hunger Games

Esteemed Contributor

"Swan Song" by Robert McCammon. It takes place in a world after a nuclear war.  Excellent book. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't read much in this genre but have read One Second After.

One Second After is a 2009 novel by American writer William R. Forstchen. The novel deals with an unexpected electromagnetic pulse attack on the United States as it affects the people living in and around the small American town of Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud There are 2 more novels in that trilogy. Do you think that you will read them, or was the first one not good enough to go on?

Respected Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud There are 2 more novels in that trilogy. Do you think that you will read them, or was the first one not good enough to go on?

Oh - I wasn't aware there were others. I might read them. I'll check to see if they're at my library. The one I read was eye opening and makes you think.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

I don't read much in this genre but have read One Second After.

One Second After is a 2009 novel by American writer William R. Forstchen. The novel deals with an unexpected electromagnetic pulse attack on the United States as it affects the people living in and around the small American town of Black Mountain, North Carolina.

@ThinkingOutLoud I totally agree with your recommendation.  @Dusty1 After I recovered from reading One Second After, I went on to read One Year After and The Final Day, both continuations of that story.  I enjoyed them, but One Second After had the most impact for me.  And the fact that Forstchen knows his subject so well, made it that much scarier for me.  This is one book that has really stayed with me.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Frequent Contributor

Brave New World

Some of Philip K ******'s books-have not read him for years(but worth checking out!)