Respected Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I just finished Holmes, Margaret and Poe.  A reluctant 3.5*.  It was a play on the real life detectives/author.  They solve a case.  Character development not bad but I don't think I would read a next book...

Respected Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo , thanks for the review on The Little Liar.  Just downloaded.

Respected Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@abbalulu wrote:

I read Better Late Than Never by Len Goodman. After watching DWTS for many years I realized I knew very little about Mr. Goodman's backround so it was an interesting book. He isn't the best writer and some of the vernacular was a bit confusing but it was interesting and I learned some things I didn't know before.

I also read Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger which was a lovely book about what happens in a young boys life in Minnesota in the early sixties. This was a beautiful well written story.

Lastly, I read None of This is True by Lisa Jewell. A thriller involving a woman podcaster who meets another woman at a restaurant who shares the same birthday as her. She ends up doing a podcast with this woman and things start to go downhill from there. Good fast paced book.

@abbalulu  Read None of this is True-it was really good!!!!

@CANDLEQUEEN @abbalulu , ditto on None of This is True!

Respected Contributor

I read NORTH WOODS  by Daniel Mason.  The New york Times Book Review calls it a sweeping novel about a single house in the woods of New England, told through the lives of those who inhabit it across the centuries—“a time-spanning, genre-blurring work of storytelling magic.” 

The descriptions of nature rival Thoreau and the people stories are fascinating, but do not expect too much depth of the characters.  This is mainly a book about the house and property through 400 years. It is a gem of a book. 

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to THE STORM WE MADE by Vanessa Chan.  Good, not great.  I think it was a little overstuffed as it followed several different storylines during British and Japanese occupied Malaysa.. I probably could have done without the youngest daughter's chapters, which includes a far fetched coincidence (I always hate those!)

I'm currently listening to an older, popular novel, as I wait for Kristen Hannah's and Yangsze Choo's upcoming February releases.

Respected Contributor

Just finished a cute cozy by Jenn McKinlay, Murder, She Barked.  It's the first of this series.

Super Contributor

Thanks for mentioning this book @Judaline as it was not on my radar. I enjoyed the Clint Hill book My Travels with Mrs Kennedy. After looking at reviews on GoodReads, it sounds like more about Carly than Jackie. Folks who were more interested in Carly's life seemed to enjoy it. Happy Reading!

@Judaline wrote:

I thought this was really far out. I have NOT read it but saw it in the library. I believe it's titled, My Friendship with Jackie by Carly Simon. I can't imagine a more unlikely duo. I wanted to read it but at the last minute I put it back. I'll wait for reviews, lol.

Super Contributor

Thank you for posting @abbalulu about the Len Goodman book. That sounds interesting to me because I always enjoyed the curmudgeon side of Len. But, I did think he had a sweet side too.

In reading a couple reviews, it sounds like Len really worked his way up from the streets. From a costermonger (street seller) of fruit and vegetables to welder to dancer. And, being born in 1944, he was a very young lad during those rough post-war rationing years in the UK. Thanks again and Happy Reading!

@abbalulu wrote:

I read Better Late Than Never by Len Goodman. After watching DWTS for many years I realized I knew very little about Mr. Goodman's backround so it was an interesting book. He isn't the best writer and some of the vernacular was a bit confusing but it was interesting and I learned some things I didn't know before.

I also read Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger which was a lovely book about what happens in a young boys life in Minnesota in the early sixties. This was a beautiful well written story.

Lastly, I read None of This is True by Lisa Jewell. A thriller involving a woman podcaster who meets another woman at a restaurant who shares the same birthday as her. She ends up doing a podcast with this woman and things start to go downhill from there. Good fast paced book.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

What to read?! 
Tomorrow three new books are coming out,don't know what one to download. 
Kristin Hannah. Freda McFadden,THE TEACHER,and Jonathan Kellerman,a Alex Delaware/Milo Sturgis book. Think I'll go with M cFadden,hers are always great. I'll get to the others next.

Respected Contributor

@Epicurean 

McFadden's books are such fun to read, aren't they?  It's always a quick read too-good escape literature.  I have read three or four of hers and I like her writing too.