Honored Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Still reading through the Johanne Fluke, Hanna Swenson series of murder and baking.  On book #28 out of 34. · Banana Cream Pie Murder   the recipes in all the books make me almost too hungry to keep reading.

The Edge (bk 2 of the 6:20 Man series),  by David Baldacci.  A federal agent as been found murdered in her home town.  Travis goes to investigate not only who killed her but were her files, computer and phone compromised and now in the hands of an unknown enemy.  Travis soon discovers this small town in Maine as has many secrets as our federal government.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I just finished The Friendship Club by Robyn Carr.  This is her newest book and not part of a series.  I would describe this book as really good chick-lit.  It's the story of four women of different ages and their relationships with men and friendship with each other.  One storyline is about abuse, so if that is a trigger for you then you should avoid this book.  It was an uplifting read and only 303 pages long.  I recommend it.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

The Instinct series sounds like something that I would like. Plus, I am a James Patterson fan.

I have put in a request at the library. 

Respected Contributor

I read The Mystery Guest by Nita Prose (Molly the Maid book 2).   I was prepared not to like it as much as the first because that's often the case with a 2nd book.  But I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I liked Molly's backstory and I feel like there were some things left hanging.  So probably setting up for Book 3.

Respected Contributor

Just finished The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewel.  This is the story of the Bird family, a dysfunctional family and how they dealt with turmoil and family secrets.  And they had lots of both.  This was the kind of book you can't stop reading as it hints about the dysfunction without really revealing it until the end of the book.  May be triggering for some.  The reveal is a slow release.  Can't say more without spoiling the book.  Goodreads rates it 3.8.  I agree with the rating.

Trusted Contributor

Last night I finished reading Kristan Hannah's new book,THE WOMEN. I read a lot of reviews,have read some of her books,everyone said how good this book was. Well! They were dead wrong,this book was GREAT!

A long book,about a young woman who joins the army and is a nurse. It's during the Vietnam war. What a emotional book. It's a true tribute to the women who served. Not always pleasant to read,but very true to life. As my hubby was in the Marines during this time it brought back many memories. Even if you don't know much about this time in history it's well worth the time. I read a lot,and am a fast reader.it took me about 5 days to read. Wonderful book!

Respected Contributor

@Epicurean Good review!!

Respected Contributor

You know how sometimes you can read a book in a day?  Well after a big snow clearing day, that is exactly what I did while recuperating with sore muscles!

I read The Teacher by Freida McFadden.  It was a page turner without much character development and sometimes that is just the right thing!  I give the author full marks for keeping the suspense alive with a couple of twists I never saw coming.

Goodreads rates this 4.11/5*.  I would not be so generous.  I rated it 3.75/5*.  It was the perfect read for me on this winter day!

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I thought this was really far out. I have NOT read it but saw it in the library. I believe it's titled, My Friendship with Jackie by Carly Simon. I can't imagine a more unlikely duo. I wanted to read it but at the last minute I put it back. I'll wait for reviews, lol.

@Judaline your comments made me curious about the unlikely pairing of Jackie and Carly.  I checked out the Goodreads reviews and they are mixed...3.3*/5*.  I think my reaction would be like yours...leave it on the shelf.

Respected Contributor

@Epicurean wrote:

I have been reading books by Charlie Donelea and enjoyed every none,esp. the mystery/ thrillers. THE GIRL WHO WAS TAKEN was esp. good. 

Just requested this @Epicurean , thanks!