Honored Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@Wendy Lou Hoo wrote:

Just finished reading "The Little Liar" by Mitch Albom.  About a family and the Holocaust.  Hard to put down.

@Wendy Lou Hoo This is on my list to read. I really like his books!

Trusted Contributor

I just finished The Fury by Alex Michaeledes (not sure of spelling). It was excellent and I highly recommend it. His previous two books were The Silent Patient (also excellent) and The Maidens (good, but not my favorite of the three). If you've never read this author, give him a try!

Respected Contributor

@mildoo wrote:

I am currently reading ABSOLUTION BY Alice McDermott.  Takes place in 1963 in Saigon and is about  American wives on the periphery of war.  Their husbands are not in the military per se, but are professionals (attorneys, engineers, etc.) who have been sent to Saigon on loan to Navy Intelligence.  And given the time period these wives are their spouses moral and morale support, but  wives have always been the minor characters in literature of the Vietnam War.

Being a Baby Boomer this book interested me because to date, I have not really run into much literature of that time.  Anyhow, the book is interesting and hard to put down.  And oif you came of age in the sixties, it may interest  you, too.

@mildoo 

I enjoyed her previous books and this one looks so good.  I love books set in the 1960s and women's fiction.  I'm a baby boomer too born in 1958.  Enjoy the book.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SWEET wrote:

@mildoo wrote:

I am currently reading ABSOLUTION BY Alice McDermott.  Takes place in 1963 in Saigon and is about  American wives on the periphery of war.  Their husbands are not in the military per se, but are professionals (attorneys, engineers, etc.) who have been sent to Saigon on loan to Navy Intelligence.  And given the time period these wives are their spouses moral and morale support, but  wives have always been the minor characters in literature of the Vietnam War.

Being a Baby Boomer this book interested me because to date, I have not really run into much literature of that time.  Anyhow, the book is interesting and hard to put down.  And oif you came of age in the sixties, it may interest  you, too.

@mildoo 

I enjoyed her previous books and this one looks so good.  I love books set in the 1960s and women's fiction.  I'm a baby boomer too born in 1958.  Enjoy the book.  

I will have to get that one too.  I was born on the downside of Baby Boomers, 1961 the final week in fact.  Mom was shocked that at the age of 5 I watched the nightly news and talked about the Vietnam War.  When I started 1st grade in 1968 I payed attention to the upcoming Presidential election between Nixon and Humphrey.  Mom was horrified at the end of the day when I announced who I voted for in our school mock election on election day.  Doing so in front of my Great Grandmother.  I brought Mom over to my side a couple of decades later.  This does look like a great book.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished The Vanishing Hour by Seraphina Nova Glass, it was very very good...I have read a lot of her books and always enjoy them..

I am now starting The Last Housewife, by Ashley Winstead...

I am now starting The Trapped Wife By Smanatha Hayes. I couldn't get into The Last Housewife!!!!

Trusted Contributor

I have been reading books by Charlie Donelea and enjoyed every none,esp. the mystery/ thrillers. THE GIRL WHO WAS TAKEN was esp. good. 

Respected Contributor

I am presently reading "The Clinic" by Cate Quinn about a mystery at a luxury addiction center.  Has kept my interest.

Just finished and returned to the Library:

A Good Family - Matt Goldman  - Domestic Thriller

Midnight Creek - Alex Kava - K-nine Scent Dogs mystery

and just pickup my Holds at the Library:

Last Night - Luanne Rice

The Wharton Plot - a mystery based on Edith Wharton

Next up to read:  Random in Death - J D Robb and The Missing Witness - Allison Brennan

@Epicurean   I recently discovered Charlie Donlea and liked the book I read "Those empty eyes)  I am waiting for the newest one "Long Time Gone".

Honored Contributor

I thought this was really far out. I have NOT read it but saw it in the library. I believe it's titled, My Friendship with Jackie by Carly Simon. I can't imagine a more unlikely duo. I wanted to read it but at the last minute I put it back. I'll wait for reviews, lol.

Respected Contributor

I'm an early baby boomer born in 1951. The new Kristin Hannah book about nurses in Nam sounds very good. I did become an RN, went to nsg school in 1970. My mom also an RN pushed hard for me to join the Navy, pointing out that I would immediately be a Lieutenant or whatever, have all these benefits blah blah. I was nineteen- I said Mom they will send me to Viet Nam I don't want to go there and get killed! I could write a book on how ill-suited I was for the military. Eventually she let go of that. I really didn't even want to be a nurse. I did it because it was easier than arguing with her about my totally opposite but vague career dreams- English major, writer, something in communications, wealthy socialite. 😬

Back to what I'm reading, speaking of war-time nurses, A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway. Quite compelling. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

Just finished my first book in February.  Come And Get It by Kiley Reid.  I read her first book Such A Fun Age. I liked her first book better.  It's totally different of course.