Esteemed Contributor

FEBRUARY 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

We have made it to the month of February, please share your likes and dislikes with your fellow readers.

I am currently reading "In The Likely Event" by Rebeca Yarros.

Honored Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I just started Barracoon by Zora Neale Hurston. 

In 1927, Zora met with 87 year old Cudjo Lewis, who was on what is believed to be the last transatlantic shipment of slaves. Slave trade was outlawed 50 years before he was stolen and enslaved. It's his story.

Regular Contributor

THE FROZEN RIVER by Ariel Lawhorn.  This was the first of hers I have read and I like the way she writes. Ill be reading more from her.  This takes place in Maine in 1789.  Martha Ballard was a real person and was a midwife and healer and so was asked to examine a body found in the Kennebeck River.  Lawhorn used her diary to base the story on.  Must confess,  I had a crush on her husband the entire book!

Esteemed Contributor

In January:   Baldacci's new one....The Edge

Patterson & -------Cross Down

Normally I don't prefer the co-authored Patterson books but this one I couldn't put down ( no pun intended ).  It is John Sampson, his closest friend, who is front and center.

Similarly unable to put down is The Edge.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

I read Better Late Than Never by Len Goodman. After watching DWTS for many years I realized I knew very little about Mr. Goodman's backround so it was an interesting book. He isn't the best writer and some of the vernacular was a bit confusing but it was interesting and I learned some things I didn't know before.

I also read Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger which was a lovely book about what happens in a young boys life in Minnesota in the early sixties. This was a beautiful well written story.

Lastly, I read None of This is True by Lisa Jewell. A thriller involving a woman podcaster who meets another woman at a restaurant who shares the same birthday as her. She ends up doing a podcast with this woman and things start to go downhill from there. Good fast paced book.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor

Just finished reading "The Little Liar" by Mitch Albom.  About a family and the Holocaust.  Hard to put down.

Super Contributor

I am currently reading ABSOLUTION BY Alice McDermott.  Takes place in 1963 in Saigon and is about  American wives on the periphery of war.  Their husbands are not in the military per se, but are professionals (attorneys, engineers, etc.) who have been sent to Saigon on loan to Navy Intelligence.  And given the time period these wives are their spouses moral and morale support, but  wives have always been the minor characters in literature of the Vietnam War.

Being a Baby Boomer this book interested me because to date, I have not really run into much literature of that time.  Anyhow, the book is interesting and hard to put down.  And oif you came of age in the sixties, it may interest  you, too.

Trusted Contributor

@mildoo wrote:

I am currently reading ABSOLUTION BY Alice McDermott.  Takes place in 1963 in Saigon and is about  American wives on the periphery of war.  Their husbands are not in the military per se, but are professionals (attorneys, engineers, etc.) who have been sent to Saigon on loan to Navy Intelligence.  And given the time period these wives are their spouses moral and morale support, but  wives have always been the minor characters in literature of the Vietnam War.

Being a Baby Boomer this book interested me because to date, I have not really run into much literature of that time.  Anyhow, the book is interesting and hard to put down.  And oif you came of age in the sixties, it may interest  you, too.

@mildoo  I also came of age in the 60's. Kristen Hannah is coming out soon with a book about nurses in Vietnam called The Women, I believe. She's a good writer and this book might align with your interests. I have it preordered for my Kindle.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

@abbalulu wrote:

@mildoo wrote:

@mildoo  I also came of age in the 60's. Kristen Hannah is coming out soon with a book about nurses in Vietnam called The Women, I believe. She's a good writer and this book might align with your interests. I have it preordered for my Kindle.

Thanks, I just put a hold on Kristen's new book, I love all her work.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@abbalulu wrote:

I read Better Late Than Never by Len Goodman. After watching DWTS for many years I realized I knew very little about Mr. Goodman's backround so it was an interesting book. He isn't the best writer and some of the vernacular was a bit confusing but it was interesting and I learned some things I didn't know before.

I also read Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger which was a lovely book about what happens in a young boys life in Minnesota in the early sixties. This was a beautiful well written story.

Lastly, I read None of This is True by Lisa Jewell. A thriller involving a woman podcaster who meets another woman at a restaurant who shares the same birthday as her. She ends up doing a podcast with this woman and things start to go downhill from there. Good fast paced book.

@abbalulu  Read None of this is True-it was really good!!!!