Respected Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@smoky22  This book had the strangest (for lack of a better word) group of characters I ever found in one book. I don't think I liked any of them. That being said I could not put this book down, reading well into the night.

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@smoky22  This book had the strangest (for lack of a better word) group of characters I ever found in one book. I don't think I liked any of them. That being said I could not put this book down, reading well into the night.

Thanks @Janey2 .  It sounds like I might like it. 

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@dawg lover I am hardly ever on this site any more (and I'm not a fan of the other one) but I just saw your note.  As usual, I'm jealous you have The Locked Room.  How was it?  I have to wait.

And I'm glad to know there's another Hamish Macbeth.

@smoky22 , I am so glad to see you post!  I really miss you, as we so often like the same books.  The new Elly Griffiths book was very good, as usual.  It's always my Valentine's gift to myself.  The new Hamish MacBeth was good, very typical of the series.  The authors brought back many of the old characters, and it was nice to see them again.  Regarding Lisa Lutz's book, The Accomplice, a friend of mine who also loved the Spellman books, did not like this book at all.  I decided to rely on her opinion and not bother reading it, but if you do read it, I'd be interested in your opinion too.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Hidden by Melanie Golding I enjoyed this book, but have no idea how to even begin to give an overview of it,  A psychopath man who is determined to kill for the neck of it, a woman who was given up for adoption and was raised by her alcoholic grandmother, a woman named Constance who is living with her child's father but not married to him,  A man found unconscious in a tub of bloody water with no one around?      A Scottish folklore about seals.  I did not do a good job describing this book, so much going on, but I still enjoyed it!

Esteemed Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

My two most recent reads:

DEATH OF A GREEN-EYED MONSTER by M. C. Beaton (the latest in the Hamish MacBeth series)

THE LOCKED ROOM by Elly Griffiths (the latest in the Ruth Galloway series - not available in the US until the end of June.  I ordered it from Book Depository.)

Just picked up at the library today:

THE BEACH WEDDING by Michael Ledwidge (stand alone thriller by an author who used to write the Michael Bennett series with James Patterson.)

STEAL by James Patterson (book 3 in the Instinct series)

CITY OF THE DEAD by Jonathan Kellerman (the latest Alex Delaware novel)

@dawg lover 

More books to add to my TBR list. Especially Steal  by James Patterson. I have not read this series so I would need to start at the beginning by reading Instinct, but it sounded like my kind of book. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus wrote:

Wow!! I have no idea where to even start with this review. I have just finished Wish you were here by Jodi Picoult. Let me start off by saying that I was not the biggest fan of Mrs. Picoult. Several years ago, I read a handful of her books, and they all made me want to throw myself from a cliff. That's not enjoyable reading to me so I stopped reading her works. In 2020 for unknown reasons, I decided to read Small Great Things, and it was surprisingly my favorite book for that year. While looking at books to check out online, I saw that this latest book was listed as a librarian favorite. I read the synopsis and decided why not. Let me share with you that if you do not feel like reading about COVID then this is not the book for you. She goes into great details and it's prominent throughout the entire story.

It tells the story of arts professional Diana that works at Sotheby’s and her surgical resident boyfriend who works at a hospital in New York, at the beginning of the pandemic. They have a scheduled vacation to the Galapagos Island which her boyfriend is unable to make so he tells her to go without him. So begins this story. I have to tell you that there was a part of the book that for me at least just became tedious, but I pushed on and boy was I glad that I did. About 2/3rds of the way through the book I hit a section, that turns it into a page turner, and honestly, I was wondering what the holy heck happened. I have read many books over my lifetime, so I am not easily surprised or shocked. This one did it and I will say nothing more as not to ruin it for others.

@icezeus  I agree this was a page turner  and I didn't fall asleep due to wondering what would happen. 
  I keep hoping and wondering about the end also! 
               📕 ⁉️

Valued Contributor

I finished The Overnight Guest , a few days ago, and LOVED it. Thanks to several people saying how good she was ,I checked it out. I have a new author ! The book  was  paced so you wanted to keep reading. A great ending too

Valued Contributor

I also read AFTER  I'm GONE, by Laura Lippmann, good interesting book. She is a great author.

Esteemed Contributor

I have just finished The Indwelling (Left Behind, #7) By Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. I actually forgot that I was reading this series. So many books and so little time. 

I have to admit that I enjoyed the earlier books in the series more, but this book still held my interest and was a quick easy read.

Esteemed Contributor

I justfinished Rock Paper Scissors by Alice Feeney, this was creepy good!