Respected Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Just returned The Splendid and the Vile by Eric Larsen.  This is a story of WWII and Churchill's time as Prime Minister of UK.  Highly recommend.  What was striking to me was Churchill's steadfast position against Hitler in the face of much advice to negotiate with Germany and his persistence in convincing the US to join the war.  A remarkable man.  S

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Wherryman, book 6 of the John Tanner Norfolk Broads crime series, by David Blake.  The book centers around four missing children. three murdered men, and a boat hiding a secret.  I have to say that this book was just average, not as good as the first five.  Glad that I read it and very glad that it was free.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Three Women Disappear by James Patterson/Shan Serafin, this was a fast paced good book!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBears,
I have read several of Chris Bohjalian's books. He is from my area, so I may be a little prejudiced!  Check out his other books.

So far this month, I've read A Fire Sparkling by Julianne MacLean.  1939 - England is on the brink of war as Vivian Hughes falls in love with a handsome British official, but when bombs begin to fall and Vivian's happy life is destroyed in the blitz, she will do whatever it takes to protect those she loves... Story goes back and forth between Vivian and her granddaughter, Gillian, who is dealing with her own "stuff".  I'm a big historical fiction fan so I enjoyed this.

I am now reading Magic Lessons by Alice Hoffman.This may be the first AH book I have read.  Interesting so far.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished In Bad Company by Vivica Sten.  This is book 9 of the Sandhamm Murders, takes place in Sweden between Stockholm and the archipelago of Sandhamm, and I think the best book of the series.  Prosecutor Nora Linde is building a case against Andreis Kovac, a violent key player in Stockholm's drug trade, and he has been untouchable.  He has the best attorney that money can buy.   He also has a temper that is out of control.  

While the book starts out with his financial crimes, it turns into domestic abuse and take a deadly turn.  

The book was excellent, but at times it was difficult to read.  It was one of those books where you wanted to keep reading, but the feeling in your stomach almost kept you from reading.  

Vivica Sten is an excellent Swedish author.  If you like mysteries in areas outside of the country, give her a try.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with you completely, @SXMGirl, I like author Viveca Sten a lot as well!  I've read all of her books and enjoyed them.  If anyone out there has the MhZ channel on their streaming service, (you can add it through Prime,) there are movies of her books, which are excellent too.  They are called The Sandhamn Murders, I believe.  They're in Swedish, with English subtitles.  They will give you a free 7-day trial or one month is $6.99.  They also have movies of 18 of the Donna Leon books, as well as several of the Camilla Lackberg books.  I watched a lot of movies that month!

Honored Contributor

I am now Reading THE OTHER WIDOW, by Susan Crawford, I am 1/2 through, it is really good so far! Not sure that I really like any of the characters so far though....

Trusted Contributor

My most recent reads were "NEIGHBORS" by Danielle Steel and "SERPENTINE" by Jonathan Kellerman.  Both were very good, although I felt the Kellerman book went on a bit too long.  It could have used some editing.

In transit to me now from the library are "FAITHLESS IN DEATH" by J. D. Robb (hooray, I love this series!), and "THE RUSSIAN" by James Patterson (Michael Bennett series.)  Can't wait to get them tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

@dawg lover  Thank you for that info.  I only have Amazon but will look into MhZ.

Trusted Contributor

January had more duds then great books for me so I was happy to start February with the latest Louise Penny book All the Devils are Here. It's book 16 in her mystery series. This one is set in Paris France so I fully enjoyed all of the descriptions of the beauty of the city and the great food! I also enjoyed that Armand's wife Reine Marie was given more time in the books to show off her skills. She is quite the match for him! There is ongoing drama about their son and his relationship with Armand...that started to drag and I really started to dislike the son. I enjoyed the book for the 1st 2/3 then it seemed to just slow down with nonstop talk about banking, engineering, more banking, more technical banking...yeah it lost me and I started to skim because it was just over my head. I do enjoy a book that wraps up loose ends and this one definitely does that but it wraps it all up a little too well for me. My only guess is she does what she does so she has more material with characters in the next books. Overall, I still enjoy her writing and will look forward to the next in the series. (The dislike of the banking stuff may just be me and my lack of interest in that area).