Honored Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I need to post more regularly before I build up my list of books that I’ve read so I can give a little more detail but here is what I’ve been reading the last month or so. I’ve had a few stinkers which have been discouraging, but fortunately, there is never a shortage of books out there. 

“When You Find Me” by PJ Vernon-⭐️⭐️⭐️.75-Definitely an interesting psychological thriller, but it was close to being too dark, with the amount of cruelty and psychopathy in it, but it did hold my interest 

“Lie to Me” by JT Ellison-⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️-I’m a big fan of this author though this gaslighting psychological thriller wasn’t one of my favorites-it’s a “how did this baby really die” topic. 

“The Girlfriend” by Michelle Frances-⭐️⭐️⭐️ 1/2 It kind of drug on with the exposition of is the girl just misunderstood or is she truly a menance where one family member seems through her while the rest think she is just a perfect addition to the family. 

“The Perfect Mother” by Caroline Mitchell-⭐️⭐️⭐️ 1/2-suspenseful thriller about adoption where the arrangement becomes more sinister as a live in birth mother to the family that wishes to adopt her baby. 

“The Marriage Pact” by Michelle Richmond-⭐️⭐️1/2 Largely unbelievable story about a cult the couple joins where the goal is to create happy marriages but it ended up being pretty ridiculous, tedious and too long. 

“Little Whispers” by KL Slater-⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2 This is one of my favorite authors and although he books aren’t anything award winning, she always manages to tell an interesting story, with enough bobs and weaves that it keeps you guessing and keeps things interesting. Be careful who you think your friends are is the basic theme. 

“A Willing Murder” by Jude Deveraux-⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This is my first novel of hers because romance is my least favorite genre but her foray into suspense thrillers got me interested and I enjoyed the story though I don’t need the gratuitous sex scenes. There are other novels for that and messed with the flow of the book but overall, I found her a good storyteller. 

“A Bad Day for Sunshine” by Darynda Jones-⭐️⭐️ Just too precious for me and the liberties the main character took as sheriff were implausible. I was so relieved when this was over and probably should have stuck to my first impulse to not finish it. 

I have more but I’ll spare you for now! 😂
Respected Contributor

@smoky22 , re Goodreads access, if you are having rouble getting in via the app, delete it and install again.  S

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Anxious People by Fredrik Backman, like all of his books I enjoyed this as well, it was a deep book, one that you will be thinking about for a long time to come after you finish the last page!

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@smoky22 , re Goodreads access, if you are having rouble getting in via the app, delete it and install again.  S

Hi @Lilysmom1   I've never installed it as an app.  It just came with my amazon account.  I can get to it on my kindle fire but it still doesn't lay out properly and there is not much I can do beyond the first page.  I tried help but i can't get to that either.  I'll  keep working on it.  Thanks for trying to help.      

Honored Contributor

Just finished The End of Her, by Shari Lapena, loved it! I thought it was really good, it was a perfect book for me, suspenseful, moved along quickly and had a nice twist ito the ending! Very good!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished all of the books so far in the Jackman and Evans mystery series by Joy Ellis.  The series is excellent and takes place in the Fens of the English countryside.  What is really nice is that some of the characters in her books sometimes cross over to another series.  Jackman is the DI and Evans is the sergeant, along with quite a team.  Give this series a try if you are looking for an action-packed mystery.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LAST MONTH?

[ Edited ]

Edited to respond to Judaline's previous post:

Michael Connelly? I'm reading an older book by him, "The Poet". I like mysteries too.

"The Boy in the Woods" by Harlan Coben was a good read.

Respected Contributor

Just finished a book by Delores Phillips: The Darkest Child.  Wow.  The setting in Georgia in the 1950s gives you an idea how it would go, but the real center of the tragedy is a mentally-ill mother with 10 kids.  Lots of jaw-dropping scenes with this mother, her lifestyle and what she puts her kids through and the evil she inflicts on them.  Needless to say, it is not a happy book.  Boy, I just read right through it in a couple of days.  It is compelling.  I recommend it, but be aware it is not a happy story or even a hopeful one. 

Respected Contributor

Today I finished No Place I'd Rather Be by Cathy Lamb.  A granddaughter finds a very old cookbook in the attic of a log cabin her grandparents built.  It has generations of recipes, notations, drawings, history and keepsakes.  A very good book that I didn't want to end.  

Honored Contributor

Here's a good one for you that I just finished! --- It's Always the Husband - Michele Campbell

I won't say too much because I don't want to give the story away but it starts out about 3 young women going to college and becoming dorm room mates and how their lives become entangled throughout their lives pretty much.  There is a lot of intrigue and the latter part of the book will put a lot of questions in your head and you will be thinking --- who --- how --- when --- why???

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin