Honored Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Daylight, by David Baldacci.  Book 3 of the Atlee Pine series.

Cops, FBI, and criminals.  Never a dull moment.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

PALM BEACH TABOO  (Charlie Crawford Palm Beach Mysteries), Book 10, by Tom Turner.  There is a dangerous cult in Palm Beach, most are mensa, and they say that their focus is on philanthropy and altuism.  It appears that it really is on money and murder.  Another good book by Turner.  He has two other series and they are just as good.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I've recently read and enjoyed the first two books in the Marry Me series, by Patricia McLinn,  Wedding of the Century and The Unexpected Wedding Guest. 

As some of you may know, I am a RABID  NY Rangers hockey fan!!  I recently read Hot as Puck by Lili Valente and You Had Me at Hockey by Kelly Jamieson.    They were okay/passable  and won't read anymore in the series.  

I just started Blackout After Dark, number 23 in the Gansett Island series, by Marie Force.  I've read them all and looking forward to number 24. 

After that book, I am reading The Vineyard at Painted Moon, by Susan Mallery. 

I hope you are well and healthy.  

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Trusted Contributor

I read Act Your Age, Eve Brown by Talia Hibbert. This book wasn't my cup of tea but I had won it from Goodreads so I wanted to review it. 

I also read The Book of Lost Names by Kristen Harmel. This was an excellent book about resistance workers during WWII. I learned about an aspect of the war that I had never really thought about concerning how refugees received false papers to help escape the country during the war. WWII books are usually so heartbreaking when you read about the cruelties involved-most leave me in tears-but they can also be uplifting when you read about people who risked their lives to help others escape. Ordinary people doing extraordinary things. My hat goes off to the people who did not look the other way. They were very brave.

Last I read The Lost Night by Andrea Bartz which is a thriller about a young woman who is trying to remember the events of the night her friend committed suicide. It was good-not great.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 

Sounds like my kind of book. I have added to my TBR list.

Respected Contributor

@teganslaw  I know I seem to be in the minority, but I say save your money and wait for The Four Winds from the library. I found it to be very repetitive, and contrived. I thought Hannah was writing for a mini series and not a novel. Kristin Hannah was making a political statement in this novel. Not sure I need that right now. But the book got mostly good reviews so what do I know

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Lending Library by Aliza Fogelson, I really enjoyed this book!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

Just returned The Splendid and the Vile by Eric Larsen.  This is a story of WWII and Churchill's time as Prime Minister of UK.  Highly recommend.  What was striking to me was Churchill's steadfast position against Hitler in the face of much advice to negotiate with Germany and his persistence in convincing the US to join the war.  A remarkable man.  S

I agree!  For more interesting insight into Churchill read Franklin and Winston.  It portrays the relationship between the 2 and what was going on in their lives at the time of their "friendship."  I love bios!!!

Respected Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished The Lending Library by Aliza Fogelson, I really enjoyed this book!

@CareBears 

I thought this was such a cute book. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished FAITHLESS IN DEATH:  An Eve Dallas Novel by J. D. Robb.  Good book, as usual, from Robb.

The crime is in a West Village art studio, where artist Ariel Byrd is dead with her head bashed in.  On the Upper East Side, Gwen Huffman calls 911 to report finding a dead body.  Gwen is wealthy, elegant, and has a handsome fiance, who is also a lawyer.  What looks like a typical murder turns into an international event with many lies, lots of money, and a cult that has members from all walks of life.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!