Esteemed Contributor

FEBRUARY 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

[ Edited ]

Happy FEBRUARY 2021 to all our readers.

Read any good books lately? Pulled the bookmark on a bad book or two? (I certainly did). Please share what you've liked and disliked in January. We'd love to hear!

Sending prayers to everyone here for a happy new year, and for good health. Take good care of yourselves and read a lot of wonderful books.

Happy Reading and a happy and HEALTHY February 2021 to all.

Hugs, Sunny

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LAST MONTH?

I read Maine by J Courtney Sullivan,and I liked it a lot, I always enjoy books about complicated families. I also read  Monogamy by Sue Miller, it was good , but I didn't enjoy it as much, I never really liked the main character.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I read Boys in the Woods by Faye Kellerman.  She has always been one of my favorite authors, but I enjoyed the books alot more before Peter Decker retired from LA Detectives and moved to the small town in New York.

Also read Lost Hills by Lee Goldberg, the Eve Ronin Deputy series.  Good Book.

Nothing Good Happens After Midnight.  This is a book of short stories edited by Jeffery Deaver.  I normally do not read short stories, but I had reserved this book because of Deaver.  If you like short stories, it would be a good book.

Spoils of the Dead by Dana Strabenow.  Trooper Liam Campbell series.  Takes place in Alaska.  Normally enjoy her books but this one did not hold my interest as much as the books she writes in the Kate Shugart series.  Just finished it tonight.

Deep into the Dark by P. J. Tracy was a Margaret Nolan mystery.  Prefer the Monkey Wrench series more, but this book is worth reading.

Before She Disappeared by Lisa Gardner about a woman who spends her life moving from place to place locating missing persons.  It was OK.

I have 64 books on reserve.  Many of authors new to me, along with some of my favorites.  I have one to pick up tomorrow Every Last Secret by A. R Torre.  This is a new author for me.

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

I read Boys in the Woods by Faye Kellerman.  She has always been one of my favorite authors, but I enjoyed the books alot more before Peter Decker retired from LA Detectives and moved to the small town in New York.

Also read Lost Hills by Lee Goldberg, the Eve Ronin Deputy series.  Good Book.

Nothing Good Happens After Midnight.  This is a book of short stories edited by Jeffery Deaver.  I normally do not read short stories, but I had reserved this book because of Deaver.  If you like short stories, it would be a good book.

Spoils of the Dead by Dana Strabenow.  Trooper Liam Campbell series.  Takes place in Alaska.  Normally enjoy her books but this one did not hold my interest as much as the books she writes in the Kate Shugart series.  Just finished it tonight.

Deep into the Dark by P. J. Tracy was a Margaret Nolan mystery.  Prefer the Monkey Wrench series more, but this book is worth reading.

Before She Disappeared by Lisa Gardner about a woman who spends her life moving from place to place locating missing persons.  It was OK.

I have 64 books on reserve.  Many of authors new to me, along with some of my favorites.  I have one to pick up tomorrow Every Last Secret by A. R Torre.  This is a new author for me.

We seem to like the same type books-but I'm not crazy about girl detectives. Off hand, can you think of an author who writes like Mickey Spillane? Maybe you're too young to know who he is, but his books are about a hard boiled tough talking detective?

Also wondering if Robert Crais' Elvis Cole books are done? I've read them all. Anybody?

Respected Contributor

@KathyM23 I really like Dana Stabenow books. I have read several.

Respected Contributor

I actually listened to it, but "I'll Never Change My Name" by DWTS Valentin Chmerkovskiy was really good.

Super Contributor

Does anyone have a series they read..I call mine "palate cleansers"...after several heavy reads of serious topics...I read a Fluke Novel...the ones based on bakery items. IE the lemon pie murder, the chocolate cream murder.

I liken them to an episode of Murder She Wrote. Set in a small town, Heroine always gets involved in the murder investigation, not complicated plots.

I am reading the Trident Deception...if you liked Hunt for Red October...you will love this one

Honored Contributor

I am starting THE END OF HER, By Shari laPena... 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dusty1 wrote:

@KathyM23 I really like Dana Stabenow books. I have read several.

@Dusty1 - I like Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak Alaskan private detective stories too.  I have read the whole series.  I am currently re-reading her Liam Campbell Alaskan police detective series, because of the new book coming out soon.  Her last entry in that 4-book series was in 2002, so I needed a refresher!  Overall, like @KathyM23, I do prefer the Kate books, although I'm interested to see what's going on with Liam after all these years.

@Judaline - I can't find anything about a new Robert Crais book in 2021, but I haven't found anything about him retiring either (he is 68.)  He's probably working on one now.

Respected Contributor

I recently read and recommended The Last Flight by Julie Clark.  I am now reading another new author to me--Alex Lake.  I am reading The Choice and am about halfway through.  It is a psychological crime thriller, and so far....it is fast-paced and a different type of story.  The husband (Matt) leaves his kids in the car unattended while he runs into a store, and his car, with his kids inside, is taken.  But the ransom that is demanded is Matt's wife, Annabelle!  We will see how it goes, but so far, so good!