Honored Contributor

Re: FAVORITE MYSTERY PROTAGONISTS?

Hamish Macbeth- M.C. Beaton books

and yes Gamache but I get tired of the going over and over that past ambush incident.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Author is Linda Castillo and the character is Kate Burkholder who broke from the Amish lifestyle but has come back as the law enforcement official to investigate murders in Amish country. With each novel, we learn more about Kate's past.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Hamish Macbeth- M.C. Beaton books

and yes Gamache but I get tired of the going over and over that past ambush incident.

She has a penchant for doing that. I found there was more not to like than like in her books (after reading 4 or 5 of them) and just gave them up. Too much else going on with the family, and that Jean Guy incident. Got tired of hearing about it. Can't stand Clara or her husband. See what I mean? Too much I didn't like.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone who visits this forum with any sort of regularity knows that my Genre of choice are Mystery/Thrillers. The list below should come as no surprise. 

Zach Jordan & Kylie MacDonald  (NYPD Red Series)- James Patterson

Lucas Davenport (Prey Series) - John Sanford

Virgil Flowers - John Sanford

Stone Barrington (His manwhore ways are starting to wear on me. I wish he would marry someone already) - Stuart Woods.

Dr. Kay Scarpetta - Patricia Cornwell

Inspector Banks (I am new to this series but really enjoyed the inspector - Peter Robinson

Plenty more could be listed by lately this has been the wheelhouse that I have lived in. 

I forgot to list why. Primarily, because these are the characters and authors that keep me turning the pages. I just can't wait to see what is happening next, I basically inhale these books when I start reading them. Also, they keep me coming back. I want to know what is next in these characters lives, what is the next crime to be solved.  The authors can weave in the suspense, shock, horror sometimes that I want, but also the human touch that appeals to me as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Author is Linda Castillo and the character is Kate Burkholder who broke from the Amish lifestyle but has come back as the law enforcement official to investigate murders in Amish country. With each novel, we learn more about Kate's past.

@AuntG

Sounds interesting. I will look it up on goodreads for more information.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG-

When I read this, I thought, I saw a movie just like this, looked up her name and sure enough! And I love Neve Campbell who played Kate Burkholder. It was a good movie.

About Linda Castillo
Linda Castillo is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Kate Burkholder mystery series, including Sworn to Silence which was adapted into a Lifetime Original Movie re-titled AN AMISH MURDER and starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder. Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards, including a nomination by the International Thriller Writers for Best Hardcover Novel, the Daphne du Maurier Award of Excellence, and a nomination for the RITA. In addition to writing, Castillo's other passion is horses. She lives in Texas with her husband and is currently at work on her next novel.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

And wait! 

How could I forget Ms. Marple-

(I read all the Agatha Christie books in college when I should have been reading a whole lot of other stuff! Those made me love reading esp British mysteriesSmiley Happy

And Quilleran and his 2 feline sleuths-Koko and Yum Yum! 

I love her books and was so sad to see she had died ahile ago.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline yes, thank you for the correction that is what I meant

Honored Contributor

@icezeus, @on the bay, I had no idea one of the Amish mysteries I like was made into a movie. I'd love to watch it.

Regular Contributor

LOL re Stone Barrington!