Honored Contributor

Re: FAMILIAR WITH AUTHOR JOHN SANDFORD?

I just bought my first ever John Sandford "Golden Prey" on the strength of this thread, @Tinkrbl44

I have no idea where it is in any of his series (or even if it's in a series) but only because of you and because it was at the grocery store amongst the other paperbacks.

Looking forward to diving in! 

I may have to backtrack later but that's OK.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I finished the new book "TWISTED PREY" yesterday, and enjoyed it.  There were a few boring technical parts that I skipped over, but overall it was a good, solid entry in the series.  BTW, Kidd makes a cameo appearance in the book to research something for Lucas, and Virgil Flowers shows up a few times too.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I just bought my first ever John Sandford "Golden Prey" on the strength of this thread, @Tinkrbl44

I have no idea where it is in any of his series (or even if it's in a series) but only because of you and because it was at the grocery store amongst the other paperbacks.

Looking forward to diving in! 

I may have to backtrack later but that's OK.  

@GingerPeach

Well, thank you .....   and glad you're checking this author out!   

I've taken the liberty of including a one page summary of all John's books, listed in the order written.  Golden Prey is #27 in the 28 book Prey series .... Lucas Davenport is the central character.   

(Link below)

The Virgil Flowers series has 10 books and the Kidd series has 4 books.   

It was suggested to me to read them in order, and I also recommend doing that, based on the character development from beginning to end.  Read the Davenport/Prey books first, IMO.

BTW ----  don't know where you get your books, or take them out at a local library, but I bought the Prey series in paperback off Ebay.  Most of them were less than $4 each.   

Let us know what you think when you're done!

http://johnsandford.org/books.html

Honored Contributor

This is great info.  THANKS, @Tinkrbl44 !

Not to worry.  I've dipped my toe into series in the middle before, but always go back to the beginning.  I always think of going back to the beginning kind of like a flashback.  It never spoils the whole series.  

I read for more than just what happens.  I more enjoy the characters, and how they do things, not only what they do.

I get my books from all kinds of places.  Thanks for the eBay tip.  This book  happened to catch my eye in the display at one of the local supermarkets has next to its magazines.  They also have a limited number of paperbacks.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Night Prey #6 in the Lucas Davenport series.  Nothing new here to report. I of course loved it.  I have Mind Prey #7 in the series home from the library, but I am not going to start reading it yet. I need to show some love to some of my other library books. The good thing about the Prey series being older is that there are plenty of books in the library system, this allows me to renew online up to four times if necessary for this book.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I just finished Night Prey #6 in the Lucas Davenport series.  Nothing new here to report. I of course loved it.  I have Mind Prey #7 in the series home from the library, but I am not going to start reading it yet. I need to show some love to some of my other library books. The good thing about the Prey series being older is that there are plenty of books in the library system, this allows me to renew online up to four times if necessary for this book.

@icezeus

Am I understanding you correctly .... you can order library books online at your local library?   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44

That is correct.  It's amazing, in my County it's not just the local library where I can reserve books but it's all of the books in the entire county. I have never counted but there are plenty of libraries in my county system.  Perhaps 50, an example would be that I belong to Library "A" but the book that I want is not available. However, Library "B" that is in the system has the book and ships it to Library "A" for pickup. Once your book  is available  at your home library I receive an e-mail telling me that it's available for pickup and how long I have before they are returned and placed back into circulation.  

Older books which of course have lower demand, you are allowed to renew online if more time is needed.  The system will give you a number of how many times you can do that. Normally, the books have between 3-4 renewals.  

If the books are not available to ship right away then there is another section labeled requested books and list where you are in relationship to other people who have requested the book.  An example would be for the latest NYPD Red book by James Patterson, I am number 1 of 11 which means that it will probably be shipping out to me this week.

I just sit at my computer and search for books, order online, and renew all with a simple click.

The only time that I go into the library is to check out the books for the first time.  I return them through the drive through drop off bin.

It's a wonderful system. Check your library. I don't think that it's anything special. I have read  on the what are you reading thread where other people have similar systems in their areas.

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

wrote:

I also really like John Sandford.  You might also enjoy another series set in Minnesota called the Monkeewrench series by PJ Tracy.  The tone is quite similar.  

I agree with @sandy53, the Monkeewrench books are fantastic -- very well written.  They are written by a mother and daughter team and unfortunately, the mother recently passed away.  I was glad to see that the series will continue through the daughter.  The first book in the series, "MONKEEWRENCH", is amazing.  If ordering used books in the series, be aware that in the UK the titles are different, so you don't buy the same book twice!  This almost happened to me, but I checked at the last minute.

@dawg lover    @sandy53

Enjoyed Monkeewrench, and I'm halfway through the second book, Live Bait.   Just checked out the authors' website.  Must be hard for the daughter writing alone, but we shall see ....   

Thanks again for the recommendations!

Honored Contributor

Just got an email from FictFact that John's next book, NEON PREY will be out in early 2019.    No other information at this time.

Neon PreyNeon Prey
#29 in Lucas Davenport
By John Sandford
VIEW BOOK
Esteemed Contributor

John Sandford has a new Virgil Flowers book out in October:Holy Ghost. I've read some Prey books, which are good, but Virgil Flowers is my favorite. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain