Honored Contributor

FAMILIAR WITH AUTHOR JOHN SANDFORD?

[ Edited ]

I don't recall who recommended him to me, but Thank You .....  again.

I've read most of the Virgil Flowers series and am now about one third through the 28 book Lucas Davenport series .... reading in sequence.  These books are  like candy for the brain ...  great detail and character development.   He is consistently very good.

I was looking at both Sandford's web page and the Fict Fact information on him and noticed other novels .... anyone know anything about his Kidd series ... the Singular Menace ... or his other novels?   If so, what's your take on these books?

BTW ...... John Sandford is his pen name .... the author's real name is John Camp, and is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist!   

Boy, this man can write ......

Honored Contributor

Re: FAMILIAR WITH AUTHOR JOHN SANDFORD?

I am a fan of his also.  I have read all of the Virgil Flowers series.  I have read a few of the Lucas Davenport books.  I am sure I will eventually read them all.  I use them to fill in when newer books I have on hold are not available.  

Esteemed Contributor

John Sandford is one of my favorite authors! I've read and re-read every book from the Prey series (my favorites) and also the Virgil Flowers series. Sandford's characters are wonderful and most of them reappear from book to book. I've also read his Kidd series, but couldn't seem to get into them. Fortunately there were only three or four of them, so I don't feel lke I missed out with them. If you're on Facebook, check out one of his fan pages: "John Sandford....may contain spoilers"....it's a fun and knowledgeable group.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Dark of the Moon last week. It's the first book in the Virgil Flower series. I have book 2 on hold at the library Heat Lightning. I will be picking it up sometime this weekend.  

I really enjoy this author.

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 John Sanford is one of my favorites and he never disappoints.  I’ve read all his Lucas Davenport books and the Virgil Flowers ones.  My problem is that I devour them.  He is an author I wish could write as fast as I can read.  Lol.  I have a few authors like that.  I’ve not read the Kidd series.

Frequent Contributor

Been in love with Lucas Davenport for years. Especially like the humor in those scary Prey books. John Sanford is my fovorite writer. Never get tired of re-reading his books. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I just finished Dark of the Moon last week. It's the first book in the Virgil Flower series. I have book 2 on hold at the library Heat Lightning. I will be picking it up sometime this weekend.  

I really enjoy this author.

@icezeus

Ditto .... Definitely my best literary find of 2017!

Do your best to read them in order .... I'm finding it makes a difference with character development.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I have alwayas loved Lucas and the "Prey" books................however, I guess I felt they had become a little too scarey and so I stopped. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read all the Prey and Flowers books, and all four Kidd books as well.  I liked them, and actually Kidd shows up from time to time in the Prey books.  The Kidd books feature the antics of an artist, Kidd and his girlfriend, LuEllen, and the con jobs they pull.  So, they are written from the point of view of a criminal, rather than a lawman.  But, as I recall, none of their crimes are too bad, more like intricate plots like Oceans 11.  I always think it's funny when Lucas encounters Kidd, because Lucas somehow senses that Kidd is not completely honest..... I think the books Sandford writes with his wife, Michelle Cook, are aimed at a teen audience.  BTW, Sandford has a new book, "TWISTED PREY" coming out in April.

Esteemed Contributor

I've read all of "Virgil Flowers' novels except the newest one which I have on hold. The Kidd novels are interesting, but I like "Flowers" better. I haven't read many "Prey" novels, though. They will probably be next. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain