Honored Contributor

Don't read this if you are a smoker.....

Sometimes the books we check out from our local library REEK of cigarette smoke. I return them unread. Any suggestions as to what I can do to eliminate the smell? I have tried sunshine, fab softener sheets  and nothing seems to work.

Respected Contributor

Re: Don't read this if you are a smoker.....

My Mother was a heavy smoker, hence her early death.  She could make the most gorgeous knitted garments, and loved to do sweaters, personalied with initials or names for my children as well as for me.  She lived in another state when the children were small, and would knit wonderful things and ship them. They were very excited, but repelled by the odor that came out of the box. Even as little guys, they would ask me to open the box outside and give them the sweaters, scarves, hats later afteer the smell was gone.

But through the years, none have ever smoked, and from time to time they will tell me that it's because of those "stinky" packages from their Nana. I guess some good comes from everything. One of the guys always said that kissing a girl who smoked was worse than licking an ashtray.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My best guess is to open the book and lay it out in the sun on a non windy day.  Lay something lightweight and breathable over the top so the pages don't fly and get bent.  The lightweight breathable item could be a knitted scarf held secure on each end by something heavy.

You could also get some charcoal and put it in a box and lay the book on top of the charcoal with the box closed.  If you can open the book that would help.

Honored Contributor

Gently mist with fabreeze unscented 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

Sadly I don't think anything really works.  You can try reading outside, though not very practical in winter!  This is one of the reasons I bought a kindle and switched to borrowing ebooks from my library; I couldn't put up with the odors and mystery stains anymore.  A few times a year I borrow paper books and am reminded again why I prefer ebooks.

BTW, I don't blame the smokers for my personal issues with the odor.  I'm sure my cats (who love sniffing library books) leave some catty vibes on the books that bother those sensitive to cats.  

Respected Contributor

I'm with the ebook thing.

I'd be careful with spraying anything on a book that isn't yours.   Even tho it would seem damaged by the smoke already, the library might not see it that way.  I've never smoked and I really dislike that stale smell.  

We got stuck in a motel once that almost gagged me it was so bad.  No other options at the time so we went and bought several scented candles and lit them all and left for several hours.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

My Mother was a heavy smoker, hence her early death.  She could make the most gorgeous knitted garments, and loved to do sweaters, personalied with initials or names for my children as well as for me.  She lived in another state when the children were small, and would knit wonderful things and ship them. They were very excited, but repelled by the odor that came out of the box. Even as little guys, they would ask me to open the box outside and give them the sweaters, scarves, hats later afteer the smell was gone.

But through the years, none have ever smoked, and from time to time they will tell me that it's because of those "stinky" packages from their Nana. I guess some good comes from everything. One of the guys always said that kissing a girl who smoked was worse than licking an ashtray.

_________

@Perkup,

......"excellent post for non smokers or those who do"!.....

I can not  CAN ''NOT" think of anything more putrid than the smell of cigarette smell on people's clothing having that horrible nauseating smell as they pass by you- outside, especially inside, unless it would be rotting flesh. 

Either they don't care how VERY offensive this greasy-tar laden oil/smell is, OR HAVE no idea that they actually S T  I  N  K!!!!!!

....Perkup, I am so very sorry that your mother met an early death due to the love addiction she had with this drug....

Yes, I would agree with the boys...ashtray lick-it-up, as similar to kissing. I've never gotten that close to anyone who smoked to be that close for ahug, least a kiss.....PHEWWW.......!

Honored Contributor

I'll never forget going to the little restaurant inside Barnes & Noble. You were allowed to take a book and sit at a table while you ate, which surprised me. So one day I was sitting there eating, no book, and I looked around and saw a woman eating, and massaging her  bare foot which was on her lap, all this and flipping the pages of a book. It made me so queasy I couldn't even finish my lunch. She wasn't at home on her couch, she was in a public place!

As for Febreeze, that stuff has more chemicals in it than tobacco. To inhale that every day as you read? Not a good thing. Or to spray your car and close the windows? Oh, wow. They don't have to list all the chemicals in their product, but they're there if you want to check online.  That being said, it would only mask the odors, certainly not eradicate them..

Honored Contributor

This is about quitting-I tell this to people that are trying. My Mom was a smoker and when I had my first child way back in 67 I would not allow her to smoke around him. When he was 2 my son said"Gramma why do you have to go outside to smoke? I want you to read me a story."  She quit cold turkey and lived to be 98.

Respected Contributor

@coldlake wrote:

Sadly I don't think anything really works.  You can try reading outside, though not very practical in winter!  This is one of the reasons I bought a kindle and switched to borrowing ebooks from my library; I couldn't put up with the odors and mystery stains anymore.  A few times a year I borrow paper books and am reminded again why I prefer ebooks.

There is nothing worse than mystery stains and books smelling like smoke.  I'm reading a series and the next few are not available for my kindle.  I had to get them from the library.  Ewww.  I am certaily reminded why I prefer ebooks. 

I agree that nothing totally works to take the smell out of a book, but maybe keeping it outside in the air for a few days will help.  I wouldn't use any kind of spray.  Good luck!