Honored Contributor

Re: Don't read this if you are a smoker.....

I don't think I would check out a book at the library anymore. It's so easy to use a Kindle or other device. You control how clean it is. One place I worked at had problems with the computer. The repair guy said the CPU was coated in nicotine. Gross.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I appreciate your kind words, NAES.  Mom died at 62 - her blood vessels were very weak from 45 or so years of constant cigarettes. She literally bled to death - bleeding out into here arm until there wa nothing left for the heart or brain.  Unfortunately I was subjected to this filthy habit from birth till she died.  I used to hang my clothes outside at night so they would smell fresher in the morning when I went to school. It was embarrassing.  

I could further add that my Mother in Law died at 49 from lung cancer - the result of a huge serving of daily cigarettes.  

WHAT ARE THESE HEAVY SMOKERS DOING TO THEIR CHILDREN?   WHY CAN'T PEOPLE LEARN???

Valued Contributor

Other than placing the book in a sunny, well-ventilated spot, I have no clue how to eliminate the cigarette odor. My friend once suggested zapping a used book in the microwave, but I don't believe that would affect the smell.

As a retired teacher, I try  not to dwell on all the homework assignments, test papers, and essays that my hands touched over a 35-year period!!!!!!!

Mystery stains were the most off-putting to me. At first, I would try to guess; later, I was wise enough to check the paper and move on.

Likewise, my students used textbooks that former students had stained.  I don't know whether any of them considered this, though.

Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

Sometimes the books we check out from our local library REEK of cigarette smoke. I return them unread. Any suggestions as to what I can do to eliminate the smell? I have tried sunshine, fab softener sheets  and nothing seems to work.

I don't know how it would work with cigarette smoke, but I've had luck with using baking soda liberally sprinkled between the pages of books, then left alone for a few days or so, then shaken out.  It may even take a couple of tries.  Or it might not help at all.  It's not foolproof, but it might do something.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I buy lots of books through ebay. Sometimes they reek (of smoke or a smelly basement). Here's what does work: place the book in the midst of some newspapers for a few days. When you take it out, the bad odor is gone. I swear this works!

Honored Contributor

I am an avid reader and I go the library once a week to return and check out books.  I have never checked out a book that smelled of smoke.  I have had a few books with mystery stains (probably someone eating while reading) but never one that smelled. 

Respected Contributor

I don't  get books that smell of smoke that much any more but they can reek.    I picture those people as compulsive readers who drink black coffee and chain smoke cigarettes.   To me it seems like people smoked more in the past.

Trusted Contributor

This just happened to me last week! I had been waiting a long time for a book. I finally get it and when I open it - it smelled sooooooooo strong of smoke. It was revolting. The prior reader must have been just sitting there blowing smoke directly in the book as they read it. Sadly, I returned the book without reading it. I put myself back on the waitlist, hoping the next one is a "clean" one.

Respected Contributor

Well as I've said,I work at a library and I've come across this as well.i once found a roach and bedbug in a book.really freaked me out.i really doubt there is anything that will take that awful oder away
So glad I don't have that very bad habit
Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I am an avid reader and I go the library once a week to return and check out books.  I have never checked out a book that smelled of smoke.  I have had a few books with mystery stains (probably someone eating while reading) but never one that smelled. 

@DiAnne 

I went to the library for years when I was working during my lunch hour at least for 40  years at least 3-4 times a week at once and like you never have read/checked out a book that smelled like smoke.  I've seen a few stains but nothing gross and maybe one book that was marked up with "their" grammatical corrections that I made sure that I put a sticky in stating that it wasn't me who marked up the book.