Esteemed Contributor

Does Anyone Remember the Bargain Book Clubs of the 1970s?

Back in the day, I used to belong to the Doubleday Bargain Book Club, which offered hard-cover books at 6 for $1.00, or maybe it was more than 6? You only had to buy one book at full price, which was really cheap anyway, so the club was a great deal. I had hundreds of books on my shelves from this club. They also offered a selection of the month for $.99 which was usually a pretty popular book. You had to mail back the postcard if you didn't want the selection; otherwise they'd automatically send it. 

There was also the Book of the Month Club, but that wasn't such a bargain although they did offer a better and bigger selection of books. 

The Doubleday Book Club is still around, offering "bargain books" at $9.99 for two books, and $9.99 for each additional book, with free shipping for 2+ books. 

I guess, like everything else, times have changed!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Remember the Bargain Book Clubs of the 1970s?

Do you have an iBook app? I get a lot of really inexpensive books thru Bookbub.com. I rec an email everyday with a selection of books, priced from free to around 2 dollars. The price is only good for that one day, but I've purchased many books this way, from categories that I preselected. I love it.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala, my father kept a large library in our family home.  I can remember getting the box with Book of the Month books.  That is where my love of reading was born!  LM

Honored Contributor

I belonged to the Book of the Month Club for years.  I was always so excited when the books came.  

Honored Contributor

I remember the Quality Paperback Book Club.  I loved it.  I had packages coming all the time and learned of so many authors. 

I have an elderly neighbor who still belongs to Doubleday Book Club.  It's a lifeline for her.

Respected Contributor

@sunala, my local Barnes & Noble has an extensive offering of"Bargain" books in about any genre.  The prices are ridiculously low & especially when I use my membership card there.  The last thing I need is any more books added to my continued collection of the substantial number of books that are already to the capacity limit I have...!  I can't resist those Bargain prices!  

Esteemed Contributor

I was a member of the Doubleday Book Club for years, I always enjoyed discovering new authors and getting the latest popular book at a discounted price!

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop So many of the Barnes & Noble in our area have closed, there are still a couple around but unfortunately they are further away and not convenient for me to frequent them with any kind of frequency.

Respected Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@BornToShop So many of the Barnes & Noble in our area have closed, there are still a couple around but unfortunately they are further away and not convenient for me to frequent them with any kind of frequency.

@CareBears, I have a booming BN by me, at least their inventory says so.  It's just as well you aren't close to any; your book collection could rival mine, lol!  

Honored Contributor

For those of you that remember book clubs, do you also remember Columbia Record Club ?  It was something like get 10 records for a penny and then buy so many more in a certain length time. I was so excited picking out those records. I also remember the Quality Paperback Book Club, memories.📚📚📀

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan