Valued Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Go to the LIbrary Anymore?

I use to go but then I got busy and stopped,then I started going to my local bookstore and would just read all the titles of different books before I went home from work, my stress reliever.Then I had major changes in my life and now I have my Kindle! On 2 Fires and an IPad and love them to the max, but I still need hardcover books and between Amazon and Barnes&Noble  I am set. At this point books would be a close  number one for a deserted island!

Valued Contributor

My daughter and I go to the library every week. She is a teacher and borrows books for her class. I am an avid reader and could never afford to buy as many books as I read per year. I have a Kindle, but for me, the reading experience is richer with a hardcover book. The library does have e-books for rental and most titles are available in several formats. I also borrow DVD's. Our library system has interesting programs as well. The most recent one was a glass fusing class which I really enjoyed.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

ebooks or a real book as long as people are reading.

Libraries bring a community together, 

the idea of being quiet is outmoded, most of the libraries in our area have a "quiet area" if you want to study. 

I have a kindle/ipad and use the library often, the only thing I have stopped doing is buy books, I just don't want to deal with storing them any more.

Used to have tons,  there is no need to hold on to a book as you can have access to it again easily now.  

Esteemed Contributor

I still go but not as much as I used to since ereaders.  EVery time I go I think I should make the trip more often.  LM

Regular Contributor

I work for a large county system.  I work at a busy branch, with another branch 5 minutes away in a more upscale neighborhood.  That branch is the busiest in the system with the worst parking. It is not close to public transportation so driving there is a must.  The days of quiet in the library are gone.  People are self-absorbed narcissists who have no manners and don't teach their children any manners either.  The children ask for help or something else with no "please" and/or "thank you". The children have meltdowns and are loud and screaming.  Some parents don't take their children to the restroom early enough and just tell us their child had an accident on the carpet.  Ummm... 

People check out enough DVDs to start their own video store.  I can't imagine watching that much TV with some due back in 4 days and some in 7 days.  If they are popular and have "holds" on them, they cannot be renewed.

I especially hate the fact that we have paper tax forms as a service to those who still file by snail mail.  The IRS gives us limited forms and booklets.  People get very offended when will only print them one copy and tell them if they want more they have to copy it themselves on the copier for 15 cents a page.  Everyone wants something for nothing and expects it from the library. 

We also fax paperwork for people on welfare to collect their benefits.  Don't even get me started on that.  I understand the neccessity of benefits for some, but for others.....makes my blood boil. 

I love the library and think it has great resources.  However, DVDs are more popular than books.  I find that sad. 

If it weren't for the people I work with and some friendly patrons, I probably would find another job.  It certainly has been eye-opening and not in a good way.

Valued Contributor

Our library was remodeled recently and looks great!  We can check out library books on your Kindle, which is nice b/c on the due date they just vanish.

I agree about lack of manners.  The thing I don't like is creepy ppl using the public access computers to look at p*rn.  When I complained about it at the reference desk, the librarian said it's a 1st amendment issue - they only thing they can do is require monitor filters so ppl passing by can't see objectionable material.  The last time I checked, I don't think free access to p*rn is a civil right.

Trusted Contributor

I get all of my books from the library.  I'm retired and I'm downsizing, and I don't want to collect books anymore.  I did buy a lot of books in my time.   I love the library, and my county has a great library system.  I have a Kindle, but I rarely use it.  I'll use it for a short book or for a prequel or a sequel.  I like a hardback. 

Occasional Contributor

I use the library services daily online to place books on my kindle. I'm disabled, haven't driven since 2001 and am filling my 2nd kindle. I think library services are the best use of our tax dollars.   Woman Happy

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@mollybgood wrote:

I pick up audiobooks (that I request at its online site) at the library every week.  I use their digital services (OverDrive & axis360) for downloads all the time.

I have the OverDrive app, it's been a long time since I tried to figure it out. I should try again. Can't remember what the problem was.

Last summer my daughter helped me set up OneClickdigital/Recorded Books.Inc on my IPhone.  Here it's through the Kansas State Library System and is free to anyone who has a KS State Library card.  It's wonderful, and so much better than the old tapes and cds that I used to check out at our area public library.  I am a huge fan of public libraries, and often check out books, music, movies, pictures, magazines, etc. I've been fortunate to have served several terms on our (very small) library's board of directors and know that there is a huge investment communities make into their libraries.  They are a real treasure!!!

Valued Contributor

Does anyone go to the Library anymore?   I do--five times a week! (I'm a librarian!)

Our patronage is very healthy--we are always busy.