Frequent Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Go to the LIbrary Anymore?

I do go to the library, but since I got my Kindles, it is easier to read and fast access to what I want. I also have a big library and have not read many of the books I have, I keep buying books. But love libraries.

Honored Contributor

@sunala if I miss even one week of running by there the ladies think I am very sick or 6 feet under.  I always have around 12 books checked out each week and as of right now need to go by there and pick-up two that are on hold for me.  I am usually the first one on the list for new releases since I like to keep up with all my fav. authors.  I work only a block away from our city library so it is very convenient and no $$ or storage involved.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I remember as a kid, I always loved libraries. Remember the dewey decimal system? I bet many never even heard of it now. I too got a Paperwhite a few years ago and only borrow ebooks from the library. If it isn't on Kindle, it is on 3M. It seems most of the titles are on 3M so I read it on my phone. grrr

I only read on the train to and from work, so with all that I have to carry, a physical book (99% paperbacks) is 1 less thing in my bag. I go to the library sometimes for DVDs. I must say, I loved discovering new authors or fine new titles bc of the cover art. So I usually read my tried and true authors and from suggestions on the monthly thread. Thanks @sunala

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

I remember as a kid, I always loved libraries. Remember the dewey decimal system? I bet many never even heard of it now. I too got a Paperwhite a few years ago and only borrow ebooks from the library. If it isn't on Kindle, it is on 3M. It seems most of the titles are on 3M so I read it on my phone. grrr

I only read on the train to and from work, so with all that I have to carry, a physical book (99% paperbacks) is 1 less thing in my bag. I go to the library sometimes for DVDs. I must say, I loved discovering new authors or fine new titles bc of the cover art. So I usually read my tried and true authors and from suggestions on the monthly thread. Thanks @sunala

A few years back I was reading a library book and came across a 1964 movie ticket stub in the middle of the book.  I was probably the first person to read the book since it was placed in the book.  I just smiled and wondered about the people who saw the movie.  I have found recipes and even over due bills for payment to people.  I guess you use anything handy for a place holder.  Love the library.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Since I started reading on the iPad, it's hard for me to read a paperback or hardback.  I like the light behind the words and the size. 

Contributor

@sunala, I sure do go to the Library!  Audiobooks are my preferred reading choice, and if I can't request something through one of my three (!) libraries' Hoopla or Overdrive sites, I wait patiently for one of the libraries to order the CD, and then I request it and go & pick it up.  I've always got something on hold, and know all the gals & guys at the desk.  I love my libraries!

Esteemed Contributor

@sk888888 wrote:

@sunala, I sure do go to the Library!  Audiobooks are my preferred reading choice, and if I can't request something through one of my three (!) libraries' Hoopla or Overdrive sites, I wait patiently for one of the libraries to order the CD, and then I request it and go & pick it up.  I've always got something on hold, and know all the gals & guys at the desk.  I love my libraries!

@sk888888hi! Nice to see you!  After reading all these posts, I've reconsidered my feelings about my library. I do love it; I always did and I'm sure I always will. It's just not the same as it used to be, but I can't blame that on anyone. It's just the times, I suppose. I would love to go back to the days of the oak file cabinets with all the index cards.  When checking out, I enjoyed having a little chat with the librarian and getting a card with the due date put inside the back of the book. I'd find people I knew, neighbors and friends. No more.

Today we have automatic book returns and computer check outs. No interaction with another human being at that point. There are still helpful, familiar librarians, but there are also computers to help find what you're looking for.

The library is huge now, the chairs are more comfortable than before, and everything is laid out more spaciously.

Maybe I'm just missing the old, smaller, more familiar library, but I guess I can't have everything.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I go.  I enjoy my visits. 

I recently quit my volunteer work there as a Children's Book
Reader.  Will volunteer where I will be moving. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Occasional Contributor

I used to visit my local library many times but stopped about 10-12 years ago after traveling and making a big move. It was a nice county library but I felt that many of the books I wanted had to be 'ordered' from other nearby libraries. When I was traveling, I would book purchases on Amazon for quite cheap and donate them when I was finished or didn't want to keep around any longer.

I do believe I'll go to the library soon and see if anything catches my eye.

Esteemed Contributor

FUNNY you should mention this.  Jerry and I were just talking about this. We used to go to the library.. now we buy from Amazon or use Kindle or whatever but not the library.