Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Go to the LIbrary Anymore?

I haven't been to the library in years, except to donate books I'm culling. I just don't have any reason to go. Now days I buy most of my books on kindle and the few DTB I do buy I get on Amazon which has an infinitely larger and more diverse selection than my library does. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I still go to the library not only for hard copies of books, but many books can be downloaded from my local library to my kindle. I don't spend a lot of time hanging out & reading in the library, but I've never noticed bad manner or loud people. Our library does have a teen room which houses not only young adult books but a couple of stations where they can play video games. Maybe that's where all the ruckus is? Who knows? I have no complaints.

Esteemed Contributor

I go to the library fairly often.  I have a Kindle, and I love it.  But I read actual books as well as books on my Kindle.  I've never felt that I had to stick to one or the other.

There are also some really great programs, lectures, classes, book sales, etc at the library.  And when I had internet problems at home, I went there to use their computers.

As for noise and disrespectful people, I haven't run into that since I was in the library in elementary school!

Honored Contributor

I still use my local library but I don't use it the same way I used to. I don't go to the library just to look around and see what books look interesting anymore. 

If there is a specific book I want to read I use my library app (on my iPhone) to see if it is available and I request the book, then go pick it up or wait if someone else has it. Depending on the book, I may check out the eBook version and read it on my Kindle.

I don't buy novels and haven't for many years. I can't see spending money on books I'll read once. I occasionally purchase resource type books that I will reach for over and over again.

Trusted Contributor

@sunala I absolutely love my library.  I live in a city where we have 7 libraries and they are all open every day of the week.  My children and I have library cards and go at least once a week.  I do not have an e-reader and refuse to get one because I love real paper books.  My youngest child grew up attending library programs like Lapsit, Paws to Read (where the child practies reading to a tnerapy dofg instead of a person) and any other program that I was of interest to him.  My daughter attened library programs too but has so much homework now she can't read for leisure so much anymore.  Our library now puts out a little magagzine each quarter listing all the programs that are upcoming.  I know technology is taking over so much nowadays but it will be a sad, sad day when paper books stopped being produced and everythng is electronic. Libraries are a very valuable resource and I hope they stay around for a long time to come.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't been to the library in years.When my son was little I took him a lot.Once he started school we stopped going because he preferred to own the books not borrow them.So we spent a lot of time in Borders & Barnes & Noble.He was an avid above grade level reader so I spent a lot of $$ on books.When he graduated from high school we took a drive back to his old elementary school & donated about 200 books to the school library. The principal couldn't thank us enough!!

To this day my son prefers to buy his books 📚.He then passes them on.I do the same.

Honored Contributor

In recent years - only to use their microfilm copies of old NYC newspapers and other materials - for genealogical research.   

I have a Kindle ... download what I want to read.

Esteemed Contributor

@TaylorBrown wrote:

@sunala I absolutely love my library.  I live in a city where we have 7 libraries and they are all open every day of the week.  My children and I have library cards and go at least once a week.  I do not have an e-reader and refuse to get one because I love real paper books.  My youngest child grew up attending library programs like Lapsit, Paws to Read (where the child practies reading to a tnerapy dofg instead of a person) and any other program that I was of interest to him.  My daughter attened library programs too but has so much homework now she can't read for leisure so much anymore.  Our library now puts out a little magagzine each quarter listing all the programs that are upcoming.  I know technology is taking over so much nowadays but it will be a sad, sad day when paper books stopped being produced and everythng is electronic. Libraries are a very valuable resource and I hope they stay around for a long time to come.

@TaylorBrown I totally agree!! (I just wish we could go back to 1960 lol)

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Just went over on my lunch hour a couple of hours ago since a couple of blocks away.  I had 6 stacked in my car ready to go back and only ten left at home for the week and week-end.  Stocked back up again, bring on the rest of the week I am good to go.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

I went today for the first time in many years!!