Esteemed Contributor

Does Anyone Go to the LIbrary Anymore?

I can't remember the last time I was at the library for a book. I do go occasionally to get a movie, but never books.

I got my Kindle about 3 years ago (I'm guessing) and I think I've maybe taken out 2 or 3 books since then because it wasn't available on Kindle and I really wanted to read it.

I've always loved my library; actually I've always loved all my libraries from the time I was about 5 and got my first library card.  It's always been one of my favorite places to look for books, and to sit and read.

However, once the libraries began to get videos, DVD's CD's, and other multimedia items, the thrill was gone. People came in without knowing what "library manners" were, talking loud, laughing, and allowing their kids to behave like badly-trained animals.

Again, the thrill is gone. How about you?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Go to the LIbrary Anymore?

All the time. No kindle for me - I love holding a hardcover book. We have a great library in town. 

Esteemed Contributor

My husband...all the time!  And while he's there he sits for awhile to work on a jigsaw puzzle that's always set up!  Yup--it's official--he's a senior!!

Honored Contributor

After I retired I got my kindle and I never looked back. I have donated many of my books to the library for their annual sales, but I love having all of the books that I want, without trying to find room for them. I loved the library in my younger days, and I still volunteer my time.📚📚

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I know someone who works part-time in the library, and she says it is always crowded.  She reports lots of people go for the free wifi, as well as the normal book/movie traffic.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Valued Contributor

I still love going to the library. Our town has a beautiful library with lots of area's where you can sit & read & have these big floor to ceiling windows that overlook the mountains!  Beautiful  view & so peaceful. We have the kids area on the bottom floor kind of by itself so the kids can go in there & play & read without bothering others. Which I love. The people here are wonderful about helping you if you need it. I have an ipad & I read a few books that way but I too still love having the feel of the book in my hand.  My husband & I both going to the library!

Respected Contributor

I recently went to our library and will probably never go back.  The place is very nice, but people were asleep, others talking, and the one book I went for had missing pages.  I turned it into the front desk, left and ordered the book. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, in fact, I was there today. I read a lot of books so I don't buy anymore. I don't want to keep them either. Been there done that. My library is pretty active and most of the people have pretty good manners. Only thing I don't like is that some people who borrow books are pretty disgusting. I wipe down the outside with a wet one, but some of the pages are revolting.

Frequent Contributor

I love going to the library and go at least once a week. Sometimes I put new releases on hold for both the kindle and hardback and the book comes in first. I have a kindle and use that primarily but we have some great libraries here so I just go and sit and read in the quiet or browse for new authors.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pick up audiobooks (that I request at the MA online site) at the library every week.  I use their digital services (OverDrive & axis360) for downloads all the time.

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥