Trusted Contributor

Do you steer clear of series books until the series is finished?

Baldacci's 2nd in the Atlee Pine series, "A Minute to Midnight just came out. Just opened it up today (had to re-read the #1 book as I can never recall what was happening at the end of the previous book). Love Baldacci, but sometimes series books drive me nuts for that very reason. I can't afford to own every book that I love so I rely on my local library. How do you handle reading series books?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you steer clear of series books until the series is finished?

I've been lucky, every series that I discovered was done or almost done. Since I read on my Kindle it is cheaper to keep up, and sometimes Amazon bundles several books, and there is a cost savings. I really like series, I appreciate when there is a call back to former characters.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I prefer to wait and read the complete series in succession so that I don't lose the thread of the story. Down side is waiting for the series completion. I hate starting a book and then realizing it is 2nd or 5th in a series!!!
Respected Contributor

If a series sounds promising, I jump in ASAP.

Respected Contributor

I do love when I discovery a series that is done, so I can read them as I want, but I do follow the Lee Child Jack Reacher books & Patricia Briggs Mercy Hauptman series & I wait for them to come out.....1.....at.....a......time......

Do you all read the between books? The 1.5 & 2.5 stories that come between the actual books?

I don't. They don't interest me for some reason. No matter how much I love the actual series.

Honored Contributor

The only series I read in order was Sue Grafton's A-Z books.  Otherwise, I just jump in,. e.g. Anne Perry's Monk and Pitt series.  Doesn't really matter which book is read first.  

Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50, l loved Sue Grafton's alphabet books! So sad that she passed away and that we won't completely finish the alphabet!
Honored Contributor

Never thought about it, but I guess it is better to jump in later. That way, you can read them rapidly and in order.

Respected Contributor

No.

Most of the series books I read are mysteries and work well as stand-alone stories. They don't really end in cliffhangers. The backstories and interactions are enhanced if you read the series in order, but a reader won't be lost when picking up any book in the middle and starting there. Some of them have dozens of books and, in some cases, they get stale after a while, like a season 10 of a TV show that should have ended in season 8, and I stop reading, no matter how many more books the author cranks out.

I am still waiting on George RR Martin to finish A Song of Ice and Fire series that Game of Thrones was based on. At this rate, it will never happen. 

Right now, there's only one series I hop on as soon as the next book is published, and that's the Lady Hardcastle series, by TE Kinsey. Lucky for me, all of his books are on Kindle Unlimited.

Honored Contributor

No, I actually enjoy the anticipation of the next book and often preorder so i don't miss them.

~ house cat ~