Honored Contributor

Re: Do you steer clear of series books until the series is finished?

No. I actually enjoy the anticipation of the next book. My very first series was The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.” The “Dune” series. Other sci:fi. Then Anne Rice’s vampires. Then Piers Anthony’s various series. Then Harry Potter. Then Miss Peregrine’s peculiar children. My “escape” is sci/fi and fantasy as opposed to my “serious” reading. I still switch back and forth.

I was able to afford paperbacks and sometimes a friend and I shared volumes. Ever since I bought my first Kindle, it’s so much affordable. Many are Kindle Unlimited, Ebooks are generally less expensive and I can control type size and brightness.

I just decided to download some books I already read years ago ... going to read again. I have one of my Kindles just for fiction!
Esteemed Contributor

It depends upon the book. I just finished "The Rise of the Magicks" by Nora Roberts, which was a  three book series.  I enjoyed the books but she wrote them one per year, so it took three years to finish this series. I plan on reading all three back to back at some later date. I do feel as if you loose some of the characters especially some of the minor one's when the book are spaced out in that manner, and it's a continuing story.

On the flip side, I am reading a series, by John Sanford called "The Prey" series. They are pretty much stand alone books, you just have recurring characters which I enjoy. I think my next book will be number 16 or 17 out of about 30 that he has written for his main character Lucas Davenport.

Whenever, a book comes out that I want to read, I immediately check goodreads to see if it's the first book or a series. I must read books in order.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I steer clear of them.  You might like them the first time, but after a while.....I don't want to see the same character over and over.  Some series I love (Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody) Because the character is unique.  Writing the same character over and over though becomes a formula.  You have to alter the plot to fit the character.