Frequent Contributor

Do you read books in series?

Hello everyone!

I'm sort of curious, does anyone else enjoy reading books as a complete series? 

I know there are some fantasy series where the storyline extends though several books, but I'm talking more about a series in which each of the books could be a stand alone in terms of the story told within that novel, but the characters are the same throughout all books.

In 2019 I read the entire Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell.  (At some point this series got really bad... I liked the earlier ones.)  I've also read the Will Robie series by David Baldacci (highly recommend!) and the Cormoran Strike books by Robert Galbraith (except for the newest book Troubled Blood that I'm stil on hold for at the library).  Currently I'm reading the Women's Murder club series by James Patterson and the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella.  My mom says that she finds it odd since each book is really a stand alone, and she doesn't quite get why I want to read them all one after the other.  I don't know either, besides feeling like when I reach the end it's a nice feeling of being done.  Then I can just look forward to any new book the author comes out with in that series, but I like knowing that I finished everything else.  

Is anyone else like me, and do you have any favorite "series" that you recommend?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you read books in series?

Ann Rice vampire series

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I like books that refer to characters from previous books.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@rissajaneen wrote:

Hello everyone!

I'm sort of curious, does anyone else enjoy reading books as a complete series? 

I know there are some fantasy series where the storyline extends though several books, but I'm talking more about a series in which each of the books could be a stand alone in terms of the story told within that novel, but the characters are the same throughout all books.

In 2019 I read the entire Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell.  (At some point this series got really bad... I liked the earlier ones.)  I've also read the Will Robie series by David Baldacci (highly recommend!) and the Cormoran Strike books by Robert Galbraith (except for the newest book Troubled Blood that I'm stil on hold for at the library).  Currently I'm reading the Women's Murder club series by James Patterson and the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella.  My mom says that she finds it odd since each book is really a stand alone, and she doesn't quite get why I want to read them all one after the other.  I don't know either, besides feeling like when I reach the end it's a nice feeling of being done.  Then I can just look forward to any new book the author comes out with in that series, but I like knowing that I finished everything else.  

Is anyone else like me, and do you have any favorite "series" that you recommend?

@rissajaneen 

I do .... last year I read several of Stuart Woods five different series:  Stone Barrington, Holly Barker, Ed Eagle, Teddy Fay and Will Lee.   They are light reading and good for bedtime for an hour or two before lights out.  He's written about 80 novels.

What I like about reading a series in order is the character development of the primary players; some events affect later books, and some don't.   I read one book towards the end of a series, and one of the characters had a different wife and was in a much higher tax bracket!    Jumping around doesn't work for me.  

i'm currently shopping around for a couple new series, so thanks for mentioning what you've read.   I'm going to check a few out.

BTW ... if you haven't already done so, check out the fantasticfiction.com site ... you can search by author, book or series.

Honored Contributor

The Three Sister Island Series by Nora Roberts

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

Yes I try to when I can start from the first book in the series.

Honored Contributor

Yes indeed. Especially those where the characters age over time. When I started reading Victoria Houston's "Loon Lake" murder series, one of the characters was a Korean War veteran. I noticed she removed that fact because he would be too old by now to solve crimes. She aged him, but not as fast as in real life.

Honored Contributor

@rissajaneen -

I do especially if I love the writing and the characters.

I''ve read all of Louise Penny except her last one, from recommendations on here. (thanks!)

Hamish Macbeth

Kay Scarpetta (and I agree about the last ones which I think can happen with many authors).

Stephanie Plum

All of Fannie Flags

Ann Rice the Vampire series,

Martha Grimes (INspector Richard Jury)

My favorite of all-Lillian Jackson Braun, "The Cat Who books!"

And probably many more. 

And if I like an author, I'll read every book I can find of theirs, like Agatha Christie, Mary higgins Clark, ****** Francis, John Grisham (who surprisingly wrote a very funny book that I read every year-"Skipping Christmas." And one totally different from anything else he wrote, Painted House which I didn't like at all.

I do miss the library!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

I am reading again the Lumby books by Gail Fraser in preparation for a new book to be published soon. It's about the town of Lumby and its quirky inhabitants.  Start with The Lumby Lines. I also like the Native American mysteries by Anne Hillerman who continues with the characters created by her father Tony.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read a lot of series books, and I must read them in order. However, lets say that the author has 50 books in one particular series. I will not start at book 1 and read straight through to book 50. I become bored with the characters and storyline if I attempt do that. I read them in order but I interject other books in between.

These are the series that I currently enjoy.

The Prey Series (Lucas Davenport) by John Sanford Currently 31 books in the series. I have read up to #17.

Virgil Flowers Series Spinoff from The Prey series.  (Virgil Flowers) by John Sanford Currently 13 books in the series, I have read up to #8.

Under Suspicion Series by Mary Higgins Clark &  Alfair Burke 6 books in the series and I have read up to #4. Mary Higgins Clark died earlier this year so I am not sure what will happen going forward.

Edge of Evil (Ali Reynolds) by J.A. Jance, 15 books in the series, I have read up to #5

New York Dead (Stone Barrington) by Stuart woods. 57 books in the series. I have read up to #16. This is just an ok, series. I can take it or leave it.  Stone barrington, is a world class male whore, and it's exhausting after a while reading about his shenanigans  (smile)

I see that you mentioned the Patricia Cornwell series (Kate Scarpetta) I have read up to #12.

I also read the Woman's Murder Club series by James Patterson that you have mentioned I have read up to #11. Check out his NYPD Red Series, I am caught up on this one. I am currently waiting on book #6 to be available for me to pickup from the library.

In Death Books featuring (Eve Dallas) 50+ books in this series, I have read up to #10.

Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder)  I have finished 7 of the 15 books available in this series. 

I started a new series last night. Deeper than the Dead by Tami Hoag. I am enjoying this book. 

Then throw in all of my standalone books, and I am a busy reader. (smile) I hope that I have provided you with some ideas.