Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you keep track of the books you've already read?

@SWEET wrote:

Goodreads now and Shelfari before they merged w/Goodreads.  Wish I found Goodreads first since I love the Giveaways and have won at least 7 books since I joined in March.  It's a much better system than Shelfari was too. 

@SWEET I wish I felt the way you do. I liked  Shelfari a lot better, but Goodreads is working okay now, FINALLY. I had several emails back and forth with tech support and they were very nice and helpful. You are one lucky lady to win so many books in the Giveaways! Keep it up, girlfriend Smiley Happy

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

No, but I should.  I have checked out books I have already read numerous times.  When I get them home, and start to really look at them, I think oh boy, I already know this!

Trusted Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

I read about 50 books a year.  Reading to me is the equivalent of going on the ultimate get-away vacation.  Keeping track just isn't an option for me; career demands & of course, my family.  My love for the experience of reading makes me a living-in-the-moment for what that novel depicted.  Then, I move on to my next choice which happens to be first time authors.  Lilac Girls is an example of that. Reading cannot become a chore for me.  I am extremely impressed for those of you who can keep track!

Yeah it would be a chore to keep track if I had to make something of my own like a word document or whatever.  And I never kept any type of log until I found librarything.com in 2009 like I said.  They make it fun and so easy!  I love looking at my lists on there now, complete with picture of the covers, of course.  I read more now than back when I was working, about 80 or more books a year. So I know I would be rechecking the same titles out of the library (or worse buying them) and getting frustrated if not for this great site. 

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

Goodreads now and Shelfari before they merged w/Goodreads.  Wish I found Goodreads first since I love the Giveaways and have won at least 7 books since I joined in March.  It's a much better system than Shelfari was too. 

@SWEET I wish I felt the way you do. I liked  Shelfari a lot better, but Goodreads is working okay now, FINALLY. I had several emails back and forth with tech support and they were very nice and helpful. You are one lucky lady to win so many books in the Giveaways! Keep it up, girlfriend Smiley Happy

Sunny,  sorry you have had problems.  I'm glad they are resolved whatever they were.  I got pretty used to GR quickly.  I'm grateful for GR for all the books I've won so far. 

Trusted Contributor

I have a list of all the books I've read since high school (1971 grad).  I keep a both yearly lists and lists by author.  I keep the list in a small loose leaf notebook with alphabetical tabs for the author section.  It is one of most prized possessions. 

I am so glad I have my list because now publishers are often re-releasing old books and I get excited to see a "new" book by a favorite author, but I check my list and find I read it years ago. 

I tried making a database years ago, but gave up because of all the typing.  That was on an Apple IIe and would have been worthless now!

Contributor

This is an interesting thread.  I have been an avid reader since high school, and that was in the 50s.  For me, I rely on memory and it seems to work for me.  Reading how some keep track of the books they have read sounds like work to me.  I can see how it would be helpful though.  Once in a while I will pick up a book and realize I already read it, but not often. 

I only keep the books I really really love because there would be no way to store that many books over all those years.  I do trade books back and forth with my sister and friends occasionally.

Honored Contributor

I see no reason to keep track of books I've already read.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh yes, yes and yes.  I am an avid re-reader and have ordered replacement books when some of my favorites just cannot be kept together anymore with tape and binder clips.

Some are stacked in plain sight some on shelves but never messy.

The story of the woman who lives alone with all the cats could apply to me but with books instead.  I love to read and could never get rid of my friends.

Main reason I get most now at the library since I cannot keep them.

I have them to refer to plus a list of library reads dating back about 5 years.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

A file on my computer and a little notebook when I'm at the library or book store.
Super Contributor

Jancade,

Thank you for starting this topic.

Chrystaltree, I thought I was the only one who felt this way about books! Glad you shared. Thanks.