Super Contributor

Re: Do you have an author who never disappoints?

So far, Tana French, John Le Care, Ann Tyler & Alexander McCall Smith haven't disappointed me.  

Contributor

Sebastian Barry, an Irish author.  I 've never read anything so wonderfully done as his books.  Highly recommended.  Start with "The Secret Scripture".

Esteemed Contributor

Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon books. I've read almost all of them and have never been disappointed. He's one of my favorite authors. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Present: Wendy Corsi Staub, and Kevin O'Brien

Past: Helen Van Slyke, Sidney Sheldon

@CANDLEQUEEN- OMG Helen Van Slyke and Sidney Sheldon! Two of my all-time favorite authors!

Sidney Sheldon's books kept me up all night, and I'm not kidding. I mean literally all night. I was much younger then, and could fake being wide awake the next day. Today not so much, but yet I still sometimes read into the wee hours.

I seem to remember that The Other Side of Midnight was one of the best books I've ever read. That ending!!! All his books were exceptional. And Helen Van Slyke's books were so romantic!  I'm not sure how they would fly today, but back then when I was younger I was in love with all her female characters.

@sunala I have re-read The Other Side of Midnight too........I think it is my all time favorite book! That ending!!!!!! I agree, all of his books were fantastic.......Helen's were too, but different, much more romantic....I have all of their books, and will never part with them!!!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

My newest favorite author, who I discovered only by talking with another parent, a total stranger to me, while waiting for my child's music class to end, is Jonathan Maberry, who wrote Patient Zero, which is an excellent novel and great starting place to discover his talent.  I had never heard of him until I spoke with this lovely woman who raved about his writing, which I would classify as high tech horror.  I am on a third "Joe Ledger" novel right now (one of a series of Maberry's many books), and I love his descriptive writing skill, depth of his characters, and the sometimes all-too-real science and technology in his books.

I highly recommend this author, and I am someone who avidly used to read Dean R. Koontz, Stephen King, Peter Straub, and Michael Crichton, among others.

@Jersey Born

I am going to add Patient Zero to my TBR list. The authors that you listed above were my favorite authors back in the 80's and 90's.

Regular Contributor

I love MARY BURTON.  She has written a lot of great mysteries and every single one is fantastic.

Super Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN  and @sunala    I LOVE Sidney Sheldon novels.  Can either of you recommend an author with a similar writing style  (or whose novels you enjoy just as much)?  TIA

Respected Contributor

Elly Griffiths has never disappointed me.  I love her Ruth Galloway series.  I've read a couple of her Magic Men series too, but my library doesn't stock them so I haven't kept up with them.   

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@CareBearswrote:

I have a variety of authors I enjoy but I have to say Fredrik Backman he brings on the flood gates, and his last novella still has me thinking about it weeks after I read it!

I second that!  But you knew that already and so did pretty much everyone else LOL.  

"Us Against You," the sequel to "Beartown" is available for pre-order on Amazon.  I'm not going to pre-order it because it's coming out June 5, 2018.  I hope to be around then to read it!

@LoriLori @CareBears

lori's BF Fredrik Blackman

I also love the Myron series by Coben Harlan

Valued Contributor

Dean Koontz and Lawrence Sanders.