Honored Contributor

Re: Debut of the Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

I am number two of only two copies ordered.  They just ordered it yesterday so maybe by next week I will have it to read.  Love her books.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@FranandZoe     Any book/story over 100 years old is open domain.  You can find it printed anywhere.  The story (Turn of the Screw) is available in full text anywhere on the internet.  Other books like Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, etc. are also avialable for free. Turn of the Screw is amazing.  And worth the read.

It from the Guttenburg

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/209

I've read it - many times actually.  Thanks.

I was referring to  Ruth Ware copying his title and story.

Esteemed Contributor

@FranandZoe  Different book, but there’s a take off on Pride and Prejudice pretty much every other month.  I’m actually not even exaggerating by much. Some have the same/similar title and some don’t.  Hallmark even had two (maybe three) holiday films last year inspired by the book!  

i just read about a new YA novel coming out next year (and already sold to Hollywood) based on Anna Karenina.  It’s title:  Anna K.

Too many examples. I guess it’s easier to write when someone already fleshed out the story for you.

Trusted Contributor

I read an ARC of this book 2 months ago and it is fabulous!  I read it in 2 days.  The ending blew me away.  I think she has another bestseller on her hands.  I recommend it!

Honored Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

I read an ARC of this book 2 months ago and it is fabulous!  I read it in 2 days.  The ending blew me away.  I think she has another bestseller on her hands.  I recommend it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jinlei wrote:

THE ENDING BLEW YOU AWAY?????  Wow, oh wow!  OMG OMG OMG!   I finished it today.  The old unreliable narrator again, LOL....Aside from the mystery, that poor girl's  motive blew me away.  I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING!   (Yes, I did predict the right killer, though.  Proud of myself), but only till almost the very end. But that other ringer was more shocking then the finding out the killer. 

Even though I finished, I went ahead and purchased the book earlier.  The hard copy came today as I was finishing the library copy.  

Valued Contributor

I am going to begin as soon as finish running errands today.

Kindle is on full charge, and I am charged up, too!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished listening to the book and I really liked it (as I like most of Ware.) I was happy that one of my original ideas was incorrect (would have hated to figure it out so early.). But, I didn’t have the same reaction to the ending as others had - not the “wow” reaction. It was just an interesting ending for me. I will also say that, despite the location, I also didn’t get that same atmospheric feelings that I did in her other books.

Speaking of the ending, I did have a question/issue.with it.  The following spoiler is for people who have finished the novel.

Spoiler
Will be spoilers, but will still try to keep some of the storyline obtuse (I know I’m keeping out some things below.)

So, these construction guys find her letters years later (how many?) Never sent to the lawyer.  So, are we supposed to assume that Rowan just didn’t want to fight after getting the letter from the housekeeper?  Do you think she’s in jail?  I hate endings with questions like this!

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I finished listening to the book and I really liked it (as I like most of Ware.) I was happy that one of my original ideas was incorrect (would have hated to figure it out so early.). But, I didn’t have the same reaction to the ending as others had - not the “wow” reaction. It was just an interesting ending for me. I will also say that, despite the location, I also didn’t get that same atmospheric feelings that I did in her other books.

Speaking of the ending, I did have a question/issue.with it.  The following spoiler is for people who have finished the novel.

Spoiler
Will be spoilers, but will still try to keep some of the storyline obtuse (I know I’m keeping out some things below.)

So, these construction guys find her letters years later (how many?) Never sent to the lawyer.  So, are we supposed to assume that Rowan just didn’t want to fight after getting the letter from the housekeeper?  Do you think she’s in jail?  I hate endings with questions like this!

Spoiler
yes she's convicted.  Probably for life. Aways when she had the chance she didn't say anything that would hurt the kids.  She kept quiet to the older girl about Bill being her father. That's the sad part.  that's why she never sent the letters.  The only piece of evidence that could have saved her was the letter from younges child.  And she cose to conceal it.   And she realizes she put herself in that terrible situation.
Valued Contributor

@songbird 

Spoiler
I think that she was convicted, too. I must admit that I thought the secret she mentioned all along was something more sinister than  her relationship to her employer.  I like the author builds up "Rowan's" paranoia and shredded nerves to lead the reader to anticipate that Rowan will actually harm one of the children.