Super Contributor

Dan Mallory (aka AJ Finn, author of 'The Woman in the Window') profile in The New Yorker

Not sure if this was posted (looked briefly and didn't see a mention) but The New Yorker did an intriguing profile on Dan Mallory (author of The Woman in the Window) a few days ago. I personally enjoyed the book very much but I know that it's very much love or hate thing with this particular title. The profile is a long read but I found it pretty intriguing. Hope you guys enjoy!

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/02/11/a-suspense-novelists-trail-of-deceptions

Respected Contributor

Re: Dan Mallory (aka AJ Finn, author of 'The Woman in the Window') profile in The New Yorker

[ Edited ]

I really liked the book too.

How disappointing to learn all this about Dan Mallory though.  This profile is more like a novella - would make a good movie.  Already done though -  The Talented Mr. Ripley.  Interesting that he would choose to study these novels.  He obviously knew them all too well since he sort of became Tom Ripley.

What a shame that Mallory is the way he is though - such a liar and con artist.  He's so obviously brilliant.  

Interesting too that he patterned the heroine of his own novel - Anna Fox - after himself.

And that Sophie Hannah based her Hercule Poirot novel on Dan!

Also interesting that he used a pseudonym.  No wonder.  He does attempt to explain why though.

Not sure now if I even want to read his second novel.  

Thanks for posting this - what an interesting read!

Super Contributor

Re: Dan Mallory (aka AJ Finn, author of 'The Woman in the Window') profile in The New Yorker

@FranandZoe wrote:

How disappointing to learn all this about Dan Mallory though.  This profile is more like a novella - would make a good movie.  Already done though -  The Talented Mr. Ripley.  Interesting that he would choose to study these novels.  He obviously knew them all too well since he sort of became Tom Ripley.

What a shame that Mallory is the way he is though - such a liar and con artist.  He's so obviously brilliant.  

Interesting too that he patterned the heroine of his own novel - Anna Fox - after himself.

Also interesting that he used a pseudonym.  No wonder.  He does attempt to explain why though.

Ohhh, I have to re-read the piece now because I thought Sophie Hannah based one of the manipulative characters on Dan (someone who pretended to be his own brother?) but not Hercule Poirot himself! How crazy about her being unclear aobut the whole hiring a private investigator!

I think he wrote and submitted it under the pseudonym because he is a total sociopath and some in the publishing industry obviously caught on. Female writers on Twitter are having a field day with him.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IntoSkincare wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

Ohhh, I have to re-read the piece now because I thought Sophie Hannah based one of the manipulative characters on Dan (someone who pretended to be his own brother?) but not Hercule Poirot himself! How crazy about her being unclear aobut the whole hiring a private investigator!

I think he wrote and submitted it under the pseudonym because he is a total sociopath and some in the publishing industry obviously caught on. Female writers on Twitter are having a field day with him.

It's a Hercule Poirot novel but as you said one of the characters was based on Dan obviously.

The working title of her book was You're So Vain You Probably Think This Book Is About You!  LOL!

He sure scammed a ton of people.

Respected Contributor

I loved the book. Fortunately, I don't have to love the author.

Respected Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

I loved the book. Fortunately, I don't have to love the author.

Not giving him any more of my money though.

Trusted Contributor

What a bombshell!
I loved "The Woman in the Window," and even posted a recommendation about the book on this forum...absolutely incredible backstory on this author. Thank you so much, @IntoSkincare for posting this!
That book contains SUCH a great plot twist, but now it pales in comparison to the twists in the author's own life.
Does anyone remember an Oprah book club choice years ago, a memoir, that was later revealed to be largely fabricated by the author? I cannot remember the title right now, but it was quite a scandal at the time.
(And, ironically, Melissa McCarthy was just nominated for an Oscar for her performance in "Can You Ever Forgive Me," which is about an author who fabricated literary letters.)
Thanks again for sharing this article!
Respected Contributor

GoinBacktoCali, the book you're remembering is James Frey's A Million Little Pieces. I read it fairly early on, and I kept thinking, how can this be true?

And, of course, a lot of it wasn't. What a scam!

Super Contributor

Glad you enjoyed the read. As someone who loved TWITW, I do feel sad that the author is such a selfish narcissist. Most likely will not explore his second book and honestly, I think William Morrow should not go ahead with the paperback release.

And yes, the other scammer was James Frey who wrote a completely fictional memoir 'A Million Little Pieces'.

Trusted Contributor

Yes! "A Million Little Pieces!" Big thanks to @insomniac2 and @IntoSkincare! I remember Oprah actually inviting James Frey on her show and confronting him...it was riveting.