Honored Contributor

Re: DECEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY

I just finished listening to Viola Shipman's, A Wish For Winter.

As usual, I LOVED it!  I very much liked the narrator. 

Although Christmas themed, as with most of his books, it was about so much more!  If you've enjoyed his past books, I think you'll enjoy this one.  It's magical and enchanting. 

I'm now listening to RaeAnne Thayne's, Sleigh Bells Ring.   My gf recommended it.  I'll let you know, since I'm not really fond of Christmas themed books. 

I'm not sure I'll be listening or reading much from now until 2023. Busy with family and life. 

I wish you all happy holidays and all the best for 2023! 

See ya in the new year! 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

The Whittiers, by Danielle Steel.  A 14 bedroom mansion built back when all those 5th avenue mansions were built is bought for a song.  A young couple scoops it up, restores it and raise their 6 children.  Knowing someday this home in this fashionable area will be the bulk of  their inheritance once it is sold by the children in the far off future.  Once that time comes these children discover how much home and siblings mean to them.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I just got Desert Star, the latest Harry Bosch/Renee Ballard.  Yay!  Love Harry!

Valued Contributor

I just reread my favorite Elin Hilderbrand book: The Blue Bistro.

Honored Contributor

@pprmntstx wrote:

I read she lives on Nantucket Island. I don't read her books but she must have a nice life. 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@pprmntstx wrote:

I read she lives on Nantucket Island. I don't read her books but she must have a nice life. 

Oh you should try them, they are definitely beach read and she posted a photo of herself years ago in her swimsuit lying on the beach with her pencil and legal pad.  Back when I started reading her books it said husband and three children in the bio section.  Then breast cancer struck and there was no longer a husband listed.  She is a survivor of many things.  I may not agree with her politically but I do love her work.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 wrote:

I just got Desert Star, the latest Harry Bosch/Renee Ballard.  Yay!  Love Harry!

@smoky22 

I am really enjoying it. I have a few chapters left and I will be finished. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just wrapped up Desert Star by Michael Connelly.

I enjoyed the book. Easily 4/5 stars on Goodreads. 

I was not thrilled with the ending and I will leave it at that for others who still have not read the book.  

Honored Contributor

This is what I've read (listened to) this month. 

"The Mother in Law" by Karen King: I must have a thing for books with titles like sister in law, mother in law, the ex wife, the husband etc...which fortunately, I have liked all of my in laws but I do enjoy these books because they're just wicked fun. This book pretty much fits the bill with the mother in law being all sweet on the surface and then sabotaging the dil all the while the husband can't see what is in front of his eyes is until it comes to a head and well, you know..

"The Liar's Daughter" by Megan Cooley Peterson: I also seem to read a lot of book with the word "liar" in it but this one was different in that it was a young adult novel about growing up in a cult, cut off from the world. I think it suffered a little by not fleshing out the cult and it's practices more clearly but as many YA novels, it's more of a deep dive into the young woman's inner most feelings and budding desires and the shedding of innocence. It's not bad by any means but I didn't realize this was juvenile fiction so I had to adjust my expectations. 

"Never Lie" by Frieda McFadden: Fortunately, I have my tried and true author to fall back on. When I need the surety of a good read, she is my go to and this didn't disappoint in the end. There were little things that niggled at me that seemed like a few misfires in the book but I shouldn't have doubted her as it all came together and she  stuck the land in the end.  

I'm onto "The Rose Code" by Kate Quinn who writes WW2 historical novels which is another genre I seem to gravitate to. It's based on a trio of women working at Bletchley Park and one of them is seeing Prince Phillip before he becomes engaged to Queen Elizabeth. I had a little chuckle at that. It's a pretty long book so I'll be surprised if I finish it before Christmas. 

Anyway, Happy Reading and Happy Holidays to all, 

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse , great reviews!  Thank you.  LM