Respected Contributor

Re: DECEMBER 2021 LET'S HEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE READING

[ Edited ]

Polly Crosby's The Women of Pearl Island was a waste of good reading time.  I must have won it from somewhere and it was on my to read list.  Now I wonder why.  Tired of reading about dead butterflies and this old woman's life.

Esteemed Contributor

Finished "The Secret of Snow" by Viola Shipman. 

Sonny Dunes, a meteorologist in Palm Springs, CA, loses her job to an artificial intelligence. The only news affiliate to give her a chance is one located in Traverse City, Michigan which is Sonny's home town. She relocates there and discovers things about her past and family which she tried to hide from.

I enjoyed this book. I grew up in MI, 50 miles from Traverse City, and often visited that town. The author was spot on with his descriptions of the area landmarks, weather, businesses and activities. I felt like I was going back home again. I liked the way the characters developed throughout the novel. Highly recommended even if one never visited MI. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

I just read a wonderful book!  It's called HOW THE PENGUINS SAVED VERONICA by Hazel Prior.  It's very heartwarming and I really loved it.  It reminded me strongly of A MAN CALLED OVE, so if you enjoyed that book, I think you would like this one too.

A wealthy, grouchy, elderly woman has no family to leave her money after her death.  She watches a documentary on tv about penguins in Antarctica, and decides to go there to observe the scientists and see if their program is worthy of inheriting her riches.  And that's where it all begins...

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Right Behind Her by Melinda Leigh, good book with so much  action!

Respected Contributor

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari.  It's a slow read, I need to stop and think on it, sometimes it's a little overwhelming.  I find myself wishing we could again be hunter-gatherers but we can never go back.  Imagine this:  What if other types of humans had not died off and were sharing this land with us still?  Would we allow them in our clubs and HOAs?  Why they couldn't hang on with us leaves some fascinating questions.  There were some clues left behind.  It's a most interesting read.

Super Contributor

I just began reading "The Secret of Snow" by Viola Shipman. Loving it. Perfect winter book. Curling up with a cup of hot tea and enjoying every word.

Valued Contributor

Just finished The Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead.  It's a story that takes place beginning in the 1920s with a young woman, Marian,  who decides she wants to learn to fly.  But she is poor, living in rural Montana and it takes her several years and a little unwanted help to achieve her goal.  She has a twin brother and they live with their uncle as their mother is dead and their father left them.  It is one of those books that has two timelines, the past and current date.  The current character is an actress who plays the part of the Marian in a movie.  

I thoroughly enjoyed the parts of the book devoted to Marian, her brother Jamie and their friend Caleb, but thought that the sections revolving around the actress were irrevelant and ended up skipping them completely.  Luckily enough those sections were short.  

Trusted Contributor

This morning I finshed No Hiding in Boise by Kim Hooper.  This is a novel about the aftermath of a multiple shooting at a bar.  Chapters are from different points of view including those who were killed, those injured, and family members of the deceased.  I found it to be interesting and well written.  Of course it was a sad, tragic situation and this book showed the ripple effect of the incident.  There were some unexpected coincidences and connections.  I recommend it. 

Frequent Contributor

I'm reading "Go Tell The Bees That I Have Gone" by Diane Gaboldan. It's the latest book in the "Outlander" series. It is really good. I'm up page 551. I have seen a few episodes of TV show on Starz, but the books are so much better.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished We Are Not Like Them by Christine Pride and Jo Piazza.  It was a good book about friends since grade school, one white, and the friction between them when something happens between them because of a shooting since Jenny's husband is the cop and Riley had to report the story due to her job as a reporter on a local news station.