Respected Contributor

Re: Cormoran Strike miniseries coming to Cinemax in June

@LoriLori wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori  I was hoping someone else would chime in with their opinion of the show.  Seems like no one else has watched it yet.  I am curious to see if you change your mind, lol.  

I watched it again last night and no my opinion didn't change but I figured out why I didn't enjoy it:  It's so true to the book.  Like, to the letter.

The actors are great, you're right the photography is lovely.

Despite the great casting and the look of it, it felt perfunctory to me.  It was so literal.  I felt like I was watching the book being acted out, all that was missing was the actors holding scripts.  Or like a video version of an Audible.  

@LoriLori  I watched the 2nd episode and now I'm kind of underwhelmed.  I don't know about the story being too literal, but it's coming across as really dull.  Was the book this dull?   I don't remember.  And I'm starting to think the Cormoran actor is not really that good of an actor.  He looks the part and that's about it.  Robin is good, though.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori  I was hoping someone else would chime in with their opinion of the show.  Seems like no one else has watched it yet.  I am curious to see if you change your mind, lol.  

I watched it again last night and no my opinion didn't change but I figured out why I didn't enjoy it:  It's so true to the book.  Like, to the letter.

The actors are great, you're right the photography is lovely.

Despite the great casting and the look of it, it felt perfunctory to me.  It was so literal.  I felt like I was watching the book being acted out, all that was missing was the actors holding scripts.  Or like a video version of an Audible.  

@LoriLori  I watched the 2nd episode and now I'm kind of underwhelmed.  I don't know about the story being too literal, but it's coming across as really dull.  Was the book this dull?   I don't remember.  And I'm starting to think the Cormoran actor is not really that good of an actor.  He looks the part and that's about it.  Robin is good, though.

@smoky22, the books aren't dull but neither are they page-turners.  They're written in methodical style that a few times is plodding.  I'm sorry you didn't like the second episode. 

That was my complaint, as you know, about the first -- dull.  And IMO it's dull because it is too literal.  No pixie dust in it.  Nothing tampered with, amped up, rearranged, to make it more dramatic than her books.  It's like an Audible you can see.  Hope the third one is the charm for you!

Wonder if anyone else is watching?  Don't want to call people out but a few have posted they would watch, wonder what they think??

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori and @smoky22 - I've been out of town for a while, but I recorded the show and will try to watch both episodes tonight, if I can stay awake!

Trusted Contributor

I watched both episodes last night, and thought they were pretty good.  Not thrilling, maybe a little slow, but they held my interest.  Looking forward to the third episode on Friday night.

Respected Contributor

I watched the 3rd episode of The Cuckoo's Calling.  It was really good and all the actors were terrific.  I guess the 2nd episode was just slow.  The finale sure made up for it.

Next week starts The Silkworm.  @dawg lover  you and I must be the only people watching this. 

Trusted Contributor

I do that too!  Binge watch what I want to see, cancel that darn channel when finished.   Works very well.

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I watched the 3rd episode of The Cuckoo's Calling.  It was really good and all the actors were terrific.  I guess the 2nd episode was just slow.  The finale sure made up for it.

Next week starts The Silkworm.  @dawg lover  you and I must be the only people watching this. 

I thought the 3rd episode was really good too.  This series is definitely growing on me!

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover  the series is really growing on me too.  The 1st episode of The Silkworm was so good.  My heart melted when Robin told Cormoran she wanted to be a detective trainee and Cormoran said he was afraid the job would interfere with her upcoming marriage. They are perfect together.     

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 - I think the program is great, too!  They are doing a fabulous job of bringing the books to life.

Esteemed Contributor

This may not be the best place to post this, but I didn’t want to start another post. There is FINALLY a release date for the next book in the series, Lethal White!

September 18, 2018

Yes, I did just preorder on my Kindle. Perfect timing for me to read on my next vacation.

http://ew.com/books/2018/07/10/jk-rowling-cormoran-strike-novel-lethal-white-release-date/