Respected Contributor

Cookbooks: Do You Have a Favorite?

“Life satisfaction is a term of art used by social scientists to capture a person’s overall happiness and well-being...Dinner is a marvelous way to create that time, to mark it, to make it happen.”

The author, Sam Sifton, goes on to say that this happiness doesn’t happen in 1,2 5 or 20 dinners. It occurs with time and repetition and this book is a rough guide to help make that happen and make it easier.

One of my new favorites is "See You on Sunday."  Do you have a cookbook you like?

Honored Contributor

Re: Cookbooks: Do You Have a Favorite?

That looks like a great cookbook. I'll check it out. 
Some of my favorite recipes come from church cookbooks that I have collected over the years. 

Super Contributor

Favorite - No. I find most cookbooks only offer at most, for me a couple of recipes I'm interested in trying. So, I rely on the library or online for ideas. I have this book on request at my library. But, of course, everything is closed.

Honored Contributor

I get most of my recipes from the Net these days, but " Lidia's Favorite Recipes, " by Lidia Bastianich is a well worn favorite. It is a wonderful resource for a variety of Italian sauces, pasta soups etc. Every recipe I've tried was a winner.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have this one.  Copyrighted 1961.  Great recipes!

cookbook.jpg

Honored Contributor

For over fifty years, "The Joy of Cooking"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

My favorite was my mother's Old Settlement Cook Book. I learned a great deal from that book, along with watching Julia Child and my grandmother. I have and love my grandmother's filled recipe box. I also liked a Betty Crocker cook book.

Honored Contributor

I love cookbooks especially older ones. I have the Woman’s Day Encyclopedia of Cookery from the sixties and all of James Beards cookbooks. All of these tell stories along with the recipes. I can read them just like a regular book.

Trusted Contributor

For years and years every Christmas I would get the Southern Living Annual Cookbook. But low and behold they are no longer putting them out. 
this year after Christmas I bought myself America's Test Kitchen "Cooking for Two" and I just love it,as we are empty nesters. My daughter borrowed it and I thought I would never get it back. Great recipess for two. Highly recommend it.

Honored Contributor

This is hard for me. I have A LOT of cookbooks! I started getting them when my grandmother gave me my first one at 14. If anyone visited an area of this country or overseas and asked me what they could bring me, I always said a cookbook. I also belong to a cookbook club. 

This is one of my favorites. I've made a lot of the recipes in it:  Smiley Happy

The Pollan Family Table: The Best Recipes and Kitchen Wisdom for Delicious, Healthy Family Meals