Trusted Contributor

Christmas Stories Recommendations

Has anyone read any good Christmas stories so far this season?  So far, I've read three that I really enjoyed:  A Christmas Promise by Anne Perry (takes place in Victorian England), The Christmas Blessing by Melody Carlson (takes place during WWII), and Christmas at Carnton by Tamera Alexander (takes place during the Civil War).  All three are historical fiction and the last two are also love and romance stories.  I don't know what to read next!  Does anyone have any recommendations?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Stories Recommendations

Have you ever read "A Christmas Memory " by Truman Capote ? It is my favorite Christmas story, it is about his Aunt Sook, and making Christmas fruitcakes. It is wonderful. 🎄

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Winter Solstice" by Rosamunde Pilcher. Set in England and then Scotland. It is a wonderful read for this time of year. I read it every holiday season. It is not a typical "holiday themed" novel, but just happens to take place during the Fall and Christmas time. The main character, Elfrida Phipps is very engaging. You won't be disappointed. Sadly, Rosamund Pilcher is no longer writing. She is in her 90's. I corrected this response, I confused Ms. Pilcher with Maeve Binchey, who has passed. I wish Ms. Pilcher would write again. I know her son, Robin has a few novels to his credit. Very much the style of his mother. 

Super Contributor

Published in 1888, The Bird's Christmas Carol by Kate Douglas Wiggin, is a sweet Christmas novel perfect to read to your favorite child or enjoy with a cup of tea.  My mother read it to me years ago.  It tells the story of a wealthy young girl who was dieing, and the wonderful Christmas she shared with a poor, crazy family she grew to love.  I guess it was a "silent movie" back in the day; they should resurrect it into a wonderful family Christmas flick!

Honored Contributor

Shepherds Abiding by Jan Karon. It is a modern day Gift of the Magi-another one of my favs.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1  I haven't, but I have always heard great things about it.  Capote is a beautiful writer.  I will add that to TBR list.  Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

@TexasMom1Winter Solstice sounds very good!  Thank you, I will check it out.

Trusted Contributor

@lork  The Bird's Christmas Carol sounds so sweet.  Thank you!  

Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1  Shepherds Abiding sounds very good.  I know Jan Karon has a few Christmas novels, but I didn't know which one to choose first.  Thank you!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Indoor kitty, I agree that Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory" is exquisite. The ending...so moving.

In addition, I love Dylan Thomas' "A Child's Christmas in Wales."

Both of these stories were in the 10th grade literature book I used in my teaching. Extra pleasure every year. . .