Trusted Contributor

Re: Christmas Stories Recommendations

@TexasMom1 wrote:

I have started my annual read of "Winter Solstice" by Rosamunde Pilcher, mentioned in my earlier post on the first page.  It totally captivates me every time! Always something new when I read it. Enjoy!

Thanks!  It's on my TBR list!

Trusted Contributor

@Rugermama wrote:

I just finished one of the funniest books I have ever read and it happens to be a Christmas book. Wishin' & Hopin'   by Wally Lamb. Takes place in the sixties, primarily in a Catholic school, but I think anyone would enjoy it, especially baby boomers. Very short book, but laugh out loud funny, and actually a very sweet story. Funny but not silly. Enjoy.

Thanks!  Another good suggestion!

Trusted Contributor

@Rugermama wrote:

The TV movie A Christmas Memory was  marvelous, but haven't seen it in a few years. Geraldine Paige played the aunt. Just a simple, lovely story. I'm going to try and find it for this season. Never read the book, but definitely will now. 

Will look for that one!

Trusted Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

@walkingaland any others interested:  I love "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" by Barbara Robinson.  It's technically a children's book, but not a picture book, and is funny, but has a great Christmas message.  I read it aloud every year to our kids and we laugh and get teary eyed too. 

I read a lot of children's book.  I'll look for this one.

Trusted Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I have a beautiful hard cover book called The Christmas Books of Charles Dickens. Lots of stories I'd never heard of besides A Christmas Carol of course.  

Dickens is one of my favorite authors.  I'll look for this one.

Trusted Contributor

@TexasMom1 wrote:

"Winter Solstice" by Rosamunde Pilcher. Set in England and then Scotland. It is a wonderful read for this time of year. I read it every holiday season. It is not a typical "holiday themed" novel, but just happens to take place during the Fall and Christmas time. The main character, Elfrida Phipps is very engaging. You won't be disappointed. Sadly, Rosamund Pilcher is no longer writing. She is in her 90's. I corrected this response, I confused Ms. Pilcher with Maeve Binchey, who has passed. I wish Ms. Pilcher would write again. I know her son, Robin has a few novels to his credit. Very much the style of his mother. 

I don't know how I've missed this wonderful book over the years @TexasMom1.  It's sweet and good and kind and I loved it. Now I want to move to any place like Creagan. Thank you so much for the recommendation. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am re-reading my favorite Christmas classic -- How Far to Bethlehem by Norah Lofts.  Each chapter heading names a place and gives its mileage from Bethlehem, and then tells its part of the story.  All of the individual stories converge in Bethlehem on one very special night.  Norah Lofts wrote something like 55 historical novels -- all of them give a wonderful sense of time and place. 

Honored Contributor

Frederik Backman's new illustrated novella, "The Deal of a Lifetime" is for me now an instant Christmas classic and all year too.  It's short and a lot of reviewers have complained about the price but it's a unique story -- for grownups only -- and I absolutely love it.

Trusted Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

I am re-reading my favorite Christmas classic -- How Far to Bethlehem by Norah Lofts.  Each chapter heading names a place and gives its mileage from Bethlehem, and then tells its part of the story.  All of the individual stories converge in Bethlehem on one very special night.  Norah Lofts wrote something like 55 historical novels -- all of them give a wonderful sense of time and place. 

Thanks for the suggestion!  It sounds really good.  My library has it and I ordered it.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

The Mistletoe Promise is one I just finished and liked a lot.