Honored Contributor

The Chilbury Ladies Choir, by Jennifer Ryan is the story about an .English village during the Second World War. The men have gone off to fight, and the book is about village life and the characters who life there. This is the kind of book that I love, and if you like to read about this time period, I recommend  this book highly.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Contributor

I just finished this book last night..loved it....

Honored Contributor

Thank you for this.  I'm looking for a book for my 13 year-old nephew but Chilbury is probably not the one.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

This was featured in my Bookpages for this month & it's going on my "Need to Read" list. Unless my local library purchases a book, I can't order it from the inter-library loan system for 6 months when it's a new book. I keep a running list of books listed by month that they come out so I can keep track. I purchase very few books so this is my best bet.

Esteemed Contributor

@joannecha I am the same way, fortunately for me our library system usually orders most books and if one is not on order I can request that they do, but it is not a guarantee, but like you I keep a list running of books I want to read and when our library has a used book sale I will bring my list and maybe get lucky, or I hit the garage sales in the summer, and have been lucky up to this point.

Esteemed Contributor

I just got it yesterday from my e-library. I have 3 weeks in which to read it. I'll get to it when I'm done with the book I'm reading now. I can't wait!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

Finished this book earlier in the month.  I really enjoyed it!

Valued Contributor

I'm reading it right now. It's pretty good, but I think that all of the different voices sound the same!  It's written in the form of letters, diary entries, etc. from several characters, but they all seem to write with the same voice and phrasing.  Hope it gets better, or I may have to PTB.

After all, in a choir, you should have several ranges of voices, blending together into a harmonious whole.  I'm not getting that here at all--just everyone singing in the identical note.

Trusted Contributor

I finished this book yesterday and it was very good.  It reminds me of the "Home Fires" series on PBS.

Contributor

I read this book in February and absolutely loved it!  In spite of the subject matter, for me, it was an overall feel good book.