Honored Contributor

Re: Can you Choose ONE Best Book You'd Recommend From 2018?

Right, @insomniac2 didn't put a limit on it, it was a wonderful year for me and books so I had quite the list.

Picking one it has to be Us Against You by Frederik Backman.  For anyone who hasn't read it, it is the sequel to his brilliant Beartown.

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

My best book from 2018 is a nonfiction book.  The Library Book by Susan Orlean.  

@DiAnne  I just saw The Library Book on the Washington Post's list of the years best books.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I've put it on waitlist, although I rarely read non-fiction.    

I don't read nonfiction often either but this book just sucked me in!

@DiAnne- I'd never heard of The Library Book until I saw it here. I took a look on Amazon, and reserved it at my library. Looks like an interesting book although I don't usually read non-fiction either.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I love discovering & reading an author I have never read before.  November Road is a 2018 standout for me.  

1F7963E5-DF65-42A5-8009-754DF231DD75.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank Goodness that I have Goodreads to keep track of my books for 2018. I will finish my current book that I am reading tomorrow which will bring my total books read for the year to 73.

I took a glance at my past books and one thing that I noticed is that I definitely love my thrillers. 

My favorite book of the year hands down would have to be The President is missing by James Patterson and Bill Clinton. 

Honored Contributor

@sunala

I did not have high hopes for The Library Book.  I almost did not read it - I have a 70 page rule.  If I am not into the book by page 70 I quit.  I noticed over 500 people were on the waitlist at the library for this book.  Figured they may know something I did not and I was right!

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala et al, what a great thread.  I think I would pick Duma Key by Stephen King.  He is such a great storyteller.  I can't believe I didn't pick up one of his books until just a few years ago.  I thought all he did was horror.  LM

Respected Contributor

@BornToShop  I just looked up November Road.  Another book I hadn't heard of and it has great reviews.  Thanks for posting.  I put it on waitlist. 

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@sunala

I did not have high hopes for The Library Book.  I almost did not read it - I have a 70 page rule.  If I am not into the book by page 70 I quit.  I noticed over 500 people were on the waitlist at the library for this book.  Figured they may know something I did not and I was right!

I just checked my library website and one copy is available.  I put it on hold and will pick it up on Wednesday.  I seldom read nonfiction, but this intrigues me.  Thanks to all who mentioned this book.  

A favorite of mine that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan.  It was published in 2017, but I read it this year.  I thought it was an amazing book.

Super Contributor

'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine' by Gail Honeyman (fiction)

&

'This Is Going To Hurt' by Adam Kay (memoir)

Frequent Contributor

The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg. Loved this story.