Respected Contributor

Re: Can you Choose ONE Best Book You'd Recommend From 2018?

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne

That is so funny because I have a 70 page rule too.  I came up with the rule when I read The Prince of Tides, a million years ago.  I just could not get into it until page 70.  I was about to close it and quit.  I've stuck with the rule ever since.

@sunala

This is the perfect time for your post.   I finally ordered a Kindle after reading via the Kindle app on my phone and macbook for years.  It arrives today and I can load it with some of these books.   Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

I read a lot of mystery/suspense novels. The best one this year was The Late Show by Michael Connelly, a police procedural with a female lead. I'm now waiting to get the sequel, A Dark Secret Place where she joins forces with Harry Bosch.

I am now definitely buying The Library Book!  I enjoyed the NPR piece about the book and the recommemdations here made up my mind. I'm also a special librarian....not just because I'm special LOL but my field of libararianship is not traditional.

Love this thread!

Esteemed Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@sunala

I did not have high hopes for The Library Book.  I almost did not read it - I have a 70 page rule.  If I am not into the book by page 70 I quit.  I noticed over 500 people were on the waitlist at the library for this book.  Figured they may know something I did not and I was right!

I just checked my library website and one copy is available.  I put it on hold and will pick it up on Wednesday.  I seldom read nonfiction, but this intrigues me.  Thanks to all who mentioned this book.  

A favorite of mine that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan.  It was published in 2017, but I read it this year.  I thought it was an amazing book.

@sandy53- I'm so glad you mentioned Beneath a Scarlet Sky. I got the Kindle version for free as a promotion some years ago, but I never read it.

I think it's time. Thanks for the reminder.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

Right, @insomniac2 didn't put a limit on it, it was a wonderful year for me and books so I had quite the list.

Picking one it has to be Us Against You by Frederik Backman.  For anyone who hasn't read it, it is the sequel to his brilliant Beartown.

hi @LoriLori - the reason I started a thread to choose only ONE favorite book of the year is because you really have to think about it. I can name 20 favorite books of 2018 in a heartbeat, as several others did, but it's not so easy to pick just one. That one has to be "the best of the best."

Happy reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

The Signature of All Things, by Elizabeth Gilbert.

I learned a lot from this wonderful story based on a family's love of botany and how it provided the direction of all of their lives. 

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr wrote:

The Signature of All Things, by Elizabeth Gilbert.

I learned a lot from this wonderful story based on a family's love of botany and how it provided the direction of all of their lives. 

I loved that book too!

Such an epic tale that l learned a lot from. I love books with an interesting story line, characters that you can invest in all the while learning about a subject, locale or history. In this case, you get all three!

My favorites this year were the books I read by Elena Ferrante from her Napoli series including, My Brilliant Friend, The Story of a New Name and Those Who Leave and Those who Stay. 

Also loved The Alice Netwok by Kate Quinn. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JillyMarie, thank you!

Honored Contributor

@lianne wrote:

Mine would be “Fear” by Bob Woodward 

@lianne  Same for me! Oy, what an eye opener! 

Respected Contributor

Nuala. Thank you for Arthur Trulove. I am almost finished with the book. It has taken me alway from the worst time in my life for awhile.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Thanks @ sunala for Arthur Trulove. It helped me through the most difficult time of my life.