Reply
Contributor
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎04-01-2010

Re: Can you Choose ONE Best Book You'd Recommend From 2018?

Anything by Irish writer Sebastian Barry, author of Secret Scripture.  Beautiful writing and great story-telling.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,198
Registered: ‎09-22-2010

Re: Can you Choose ONE Best Book You'd Recommend From 2018?

My best book from 2018 is a nonfiction book.  The Library Book by Susan Orlean.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,698
Registered: ‎05-30-2010

Re: Can you Choose ONE Best Book You'd Recommend From 2018?


@DiAnne wrote:

My best book from 2018 is a nonfiction book.  The Library Book by Susan Orlean.  


 

@DiAnne  I just saw The Library Book on the Washington Post's list of the years best books.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I've put it on waitlist, although I rarely read non-fiction.    

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,198
Registered: ‎09-22-2010

Re: Can you Choose ONE Best Book You'd Recommend From 2018?

 


@smoky2016 wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

My best book from 2018 is a nonfiction book.  The Library Book by Susan Orlean.  


 

@DiAnne  I just saw The Library Book on the Washington Post's list of the years best books.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I've put it on waitlist, although I rarely read non-fiction.    


I don't read nonfiction often either but this book just sucked me in!

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 109
Registered: ‎07-09-2012

Re: Can you Choose ONE Best Book You'd Recommend From 2018?

 

Edgar and Lucy  by Victor Lodato

Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,130
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Can you Choose ONE Best Book You'd Recommend From 2018?

I guess the only 2018 books I read were The Perfect Couple and Becoming. Not a great year for books as far as I was concerned.

 

I have read almost every autobiography and a great many biographies of recent presidents and first ladies:  The Kennedys, Nixons, Fords, Carters, Regans, Clintons, Obamas and both Bush's.  And also of the founding fathers, especially David McCullough's books.

 

I will say that I was surprised because George H. W. Bush's letters touched me most.  There was so much more depth to the man than I think most of us realized at the time he was president.  Truman's biography I simply could NOT read, I was so bored by it!  Oh and I have Eisenhower's but haven't started it yet. 

 

My point is that if you enjoyed Michelle Obama's book, and I did, please try some of the others--especially the books about the ones you liked least.  There will be things that will surprise you, and things you will take away from all of them! Except for Truman, I haven't found one of the lot that wasn't interesting.  Hubby finished the book, I will admit!  LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,858
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Can you Choose ONE Best Book You'd Recommend From 2018?


@indoor kitty wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@indoor kitty wrote:

@sunala wrote:

 

 

This is a tough one for me, but I'm going to stick to the topic and choose only one (although there were several).

 

Mine would be The Story of Arthur Truluv, by Elizabeth Berg. It had everything I love in a book: happiness, sadness, engrossing storyline, beautiful and interesting characters, and written by one of my VERY favorite authors.

 

Can you all name ONE of your favorite books you read in 2018?

 

Thank you, and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all of you lovely readers!

 


I like your choice, mine would have to be " Becoming" by Michelle Obama. I like to read books about people I admire.


@indoor kitty-  I'm on the last few pages of Becoming right now. I am savoring the ending like good chocolate because I don't want it to end. For reasons we all know, I won't go into the details of the book at all, except to say she wrote a beautiful memoir and I'm so glad that so many people are reading it and enjoying it.


@sunala, I'm so glad you are enjoying it !!


@indoor kitty- Thanks! I finished Becoming a few minutes ago, and my eyes are still damp. I just loved this book. Growing up, Michelle Obama had far from an easy life but one thing she did have was lots of love and encouragement from her parents and her large, affectionate family. She has done so much to enrich the lives of so many children here in the US and all over the world. I look forward to seeing what she is going to do next in her life for the betterment of others.

“When you can laugh at yourself no one can ever make a fool of you.”


~~Joan Rivers~~

Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,130
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Can you Choose ONE Best Book You'd Recommend From 2018?


@sunala wrote:

@indoor kitty wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@indoor kitty wrote:

@sunala wrote:

 

 

This is a tough one for me, but I'm going to stick to the topic and choose only one (although there were several).

 

Mine would be The Story of Arthur Truluv, by Elizabeth Berg. It had everything I love in a book: happiness, sadness, engrossing storyline, beautiful and interesting characters, and written by one of my VERY favorite authors.

 

Can you all name ONE of your favorite books you read in 2018?

 

Thank you, and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all of you lovely readers!

 


I like your choice, mine would have to be " Becoming" by Michelle Obama. I like to read books about people I admire.


@indoor kitty-  I'm on the last few pages of Becoming right now. I am savoring the ending like good chocolate because I don't want it to end. For reasons we all know, I won't go into the details of the book at all, except to say she wrote a beautiful memoir and I'm so glad that so many people are reading it and enjoying it.


@sunala, I'm so glad you are enjoying it !!


@indoor kitty- Thanks! I finished Becoming a few minutes ago, and my eyes are still damp. I just loved this book. Growing up, Michelle Obama had far from an easy life but one thing she did have was lots of love and encouragement from her parents and her large, affectionate family. She has done so much to enrich the lives of so many children here in the US and all over the world. I look forward to seeing what she is going to do next in her life for the betterment of others.


@sunala  This is not in any way a shot, but she had educational opportunities that few kids in the US have a shot at.  And good for her, she has affected a lot of lives, but kids in rural poor communities all over the US aren't getting the guidance or the opportunities that kids in cities have.  

 

NOT a criticism of Michelle Obama at all, but pointing out that there are some really disadvantaged areas where kids need more attention.  I only mention that because those kids hardly ever get noticed.  Nothing against those who do, just bringing up an often overlooked issue.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,473
Registered: ‎02-20-2016

Re: Can you Choose ONE Best Book You'd Recommend From 2018?

Sooner, a few years ago, one of my younger sisters decided to read a solid biography on each of the presidents. It took her a couple years, but she accomplished that. I was really impressed: I read a lot, but that was a challenge I would never undertake.

 

She still has to read a book on our current president, but I don't think a legitimate biography has yet been written. (It has to include family background, especially on the mother, my sister insists, or she's not reading it.) 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,473
Registered: ‎02-20-2016

Re: Can you Choose ONE Best Book You'd Recommend From 2018?

In my thread on "favorite books of 2018," I named two books I'd recommend--one fiction and one non-fiction. I don't think I can choose one of those as being better than the other.