Respected Contributor

When you were a child, and not yet able to read , what book(s) was your favorite that was read to you? My favorites were all the Madeline books and Uncle Wiggly and his adventures.

Honored Contributor

Re: CHILDHOOD BOOK FAVORITES?

I can't remember anyone ever reading to me!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pippi Longstocking,Clifford the big red dog,Bednobs and broomsticks so many that escape me at the moment. 🙂

Respected Contributor

Sleeping Beauty. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Flatbush  Mom read us Bible stories from a large gray book with great pictures. I don't know what happened to that book, and I don't know the title or publisher. I wish I could get that back for my grandkids. We were reading before first grade, but Mom still read to us.

Honored Contributor

My mom read to us a lot. Our whole family loves to read.

As a very little kid I loved The Little Engine That Could. There were a lot of good ones but that was a favorite.

My dad taught me to read before 1st grade and I've loved reading ever since. Was thrilled to get my first library card!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Black Beauty Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I loved hearing my mother read Goodnight Moon and The Little Engine that Could.

When I read them to my grandkids now, 

I read it in the same voice and inflections as she read it to us.

I also loved and have been looking for ever since,

a Little Golden Book called Molly's Circus or Molly and the Circus (something like that).

It is a sweet story of all the things Molly and her father got to see and do at the circus,

and at the end of the day, with the moon and stars bright in the sky, Molly's daddy carried her home fast asleep in his arms.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Mainly ****** and Jane and Golden books. But the best book, which I still have, is a beautiful book of poetry. I memorized several poems before I could read. 

Can't pass a drinking fountain without thinking of this. -- And if you think about it -- life can be like this:

by Marchette G. Chute

When I climb up
To get a drink
It doesn't work
The way you'd think

I turn it up.
The water goes
And hits me right 
Upon the nose.

I turn it down
To make it small
And don't get any
Drink at all.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Snow White...........i remember thinking she was so beautiful.....