Regular Contributor

Re: CHILDHOOD BOOK FAVORITES?

My mom read to us every single night. Before we could read on our own our favorites were: The Berenstain Bears, Beverly Cleary books (especially Socks), The Little House on the Prairie books, Charlotte's Web, Richard Scarry's Nursery Rhymes, and my personal favorite, Baby Dear by Eloise Wilkins.

Respected Contributor

Hands down...Trixie Belden Series!  

Valued Contributor

Cinderella.  I can tell you my least favorite...The Little Match Girl.  My mother cried every time she read it.  What little kid wants to hear a story about a poor little girl staring into a window of a family having a wonderful warm Christmas while the little girl freezes to death wishing she was one of them (at least that's how I remember the story going)?

Valued Contributor

My cousin and I loved the Cherry Ames book.  Cherry was a student nurse/detective.

We always made sure to ask for different titles for Christmas so that we would  switch books.

Honored Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

My cousin and I loved the Cherry Ames book.  Cherry was a student nurse/detective.

We always made sure to ask for different titles for Christmas so that we would  switch books.

@pateacher. My cousin and I also loved the Cherry Ames books. We used to pretend we were nurses and walk around with a pad of paper and pencil checking invisible patients!

Respected Contributor

I love all the responces. Brings back a lot of memories.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Years ago when I chaired a book club I gave all an assignment to read a childhood fav and then bring it in to the group. One of the women loved Babar and her Dad had made things (beds,etc) and she brought these in.

Trusted Contributor

I think it's so sweet how many people have memories of their parents reading to them when they were young! I don't remember that...but my mom did instill the love of reading to us kids.

I remember our library was quite old in the neighboring town. We would go there often but the big deal was when the local book mobile would come to our little town!!! It was bright navy blue, size of a large moving truck. The inside was lined with bookshelves. It would pull into the parking lot of the church. We would be there and go home with an armload of new books to read. Did anyone else have these book mobiles growing up in their area? 

Super Contributor

Tawny Scrawny Lion by Goldenbooks.