Valued Contributor

Re: CHILDHOOD BOOK FAVORITES?

With 3 boys ,5 years apart, I had a lot of years to read to them.

Abslute favorite of each was "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak.  It must be read with lots of voice inflection!

When I was an art student, Sendak won the Caldacot  (sp?) award for this book and he brought all the original art to show.  I was charmed and have a signed copy which is the well-worn one I will leave to one of them.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I can't remember anyone ever reading to me!!

Me either...no books except my dad would read the newspaper comics to me.

My favorite books when I was able to read were the Nancy Drew & Bobbsey Twins series.  I also loved Anne of Green Gables.

Honored Contributor

The favorite in our house was THE BIG FAT BOOK.  The time was the 1940s.

The place of honor for books was the end table in the living room next to my father's chair.  There were two books:  A Douay Rheims translation of the Bible in a red leather cover, and a bigger book we lovingingly called "the big fat book."  I have no idea what the actual ttle of the book was.  

It was an anthology of poetry, short stories, fairy tales, biographies.  Looking back, it was similar to some of the anthologies that we used in college.

My parents read to us from both books.  As we learned to read, we read to our younger siblings.  We had contests to see who could memorize the most poetry from anthology.   

My parents were both avid readers - and the four of us turned out the same way!

Esteemed Contributor

The Bobbsey Twins

Respected Contributor

Are you My Mother? Always makes me teary eyed.  

Honored Contributor

The Little Red Hen is one I requested. Once I could read Amelia Bedelia was a favorite.
Respected Contributor

Bambi

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush   Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit.  Anything from the Golden Books.  Mother Goose.  My Book House books.

Trusted Contributor

bambi

my mother ead it to me as a child.

i got  my first library card at thebranch where i now work.  it isa dream come true.  i always wanted to work here.  

Contributor

OK, I am telling my age here, but I liked all of the Little Golden Books that were cheap to buy,  This is preatty much all we had when I was little..  After my son was born, he liked the Book about Cordurory the bear.  and had all of the DR Seus books, and many others.  How times have changed.