Honored Contributor

CAN YOU TELL AN AUTHOR'S GENDER?

I've been thinking about various authors and how men and women write differently .....  and here's the question ...

If you were reading a book in a genre that you like, and the author's name is listed as "J. Smith", would you be able to determine their gender?   If so ... how?  

Do you have a preference?  If so, why?

Honored Contributor

Re: CAN YOU TELL AN AUTHOR'S GENDER?

I hate to generalize, however I find that men for the most part , don't write women well.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Ask google, alexa or Suri.   I have no gender preference.

Respected Contributor

What difference does it make?  

Honored Contributor

Sometimes, but not always. 

Honored Contributor

I don't believe you will find men writing romance books like Danielle Steele.  I am no expert on the subject but you can usually tell the difference; however, when I read Mr. Gray books, the author was a woman but she talked like a truck driver.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Mostly.    (Women have a better sense of humor.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I read a lot of mysteries - detective and psychological thrillers and found that men often put in sex scenes that have no bearing really to the plot and women often throw romance in the same way!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1 - No, most likely I would not be able to determine an author's gender unless thinking stereotypically and, then, I could be wrong.

2 - No, I don't care if the author is male/female.  I care more about what a person has to say and how they say it than their gender.

Honored Contributor

Makes no difference to me.  Most authors have pen names anyway.  I don't care if the protagonist is a man or a women.  Or if the author is a man or woman.Many men write romance stories under a woman's name because women are more apt to read romance books.

Years ago, I read a novel, in which the main character's name was Hiliary (which can be a man's name or woman's name in the UK)  Thought out the entire book, you didn't know if Hilary was a man or a woman.  Cleverly written too.