Honored Contributor

I just finished this biography, and it was fascinating. She was married to an immensely wealthy man, but she had many interests, primarily gardening, and was considered so expert that JFK asked her to design the famous rose garden. She was a close friend of Jackie Kennedy, and since she lived to 103, she knew everyone. She and her husband , hosted the famous, and not so famous, including the young Queen .Elizabeth, and years later Princess Diana. By no means perfect, she was a curious and interesting woman.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for reminding me about this book.  Just finished reading it and concur with everything you wrote. 

I had remembered her from the Kennedy era and what a strong influence she had--but always in the background. 

The other books by this author, Meryl Gordon,  seems like they would be interesting reads as well:  Mrs. Astor Regrets (Brooke Astor)--also a contemporary of Bunny Mellon--and The Phantom of Fifth Avenue (Huguette Clark)--now that was quite a character.

Thank you, once again,

Maureen

P.S.--  Love your name "indoor kitty".  I am a strong proponent of keeping cats inside

and/or offering a Catio.

Honored Contributor

@Samara wrote:

Thank you for reminding me about this book.  Just finished reading it and concur with everything you wrote. 

I had remembered her from the Kennedy era and what a strong influence she had--but always in the background. 

The other books by this author, Meryl Gordon,  seems like they would be interesting reads as well:  Mrs. Astor Regrets (Brooke Astor)--also a contemporary of Bunny Mellon--and The Phantom of Fifth Avenue (Huguette Clark)--now that was quite a character.

Thank you, once again,

Maureen

P.S.--  Love your name "indoor kitty".  I am a strong proponent of keeping cats inside

and/or offering a Catio.

@Samara, Thanks for mentioning the author's other books. I was introduced to the Mellon book after reading an excerpt in " Vanity Fair ", and I was unaware of this author. And as an aside, indoor cats rule ! 😻

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Thanks to all!  I just read it and thought it was quite interesting and well written.  She could really be ice cold couldn't she?  Interesting life however!  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Bunny Mellon

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the suggestion, just added it to my wish list.