Valued Contributor

Re: Breaking the bank with books lately?

I could easily break the bank buying books but cannot afford it. I am using the library like mad.... between books and audio books. The library called again this am to let me know some books were in and I detected a weariness in her voice! LOL

Trusted Contributor

@Whosits, ha, ha, I can totally relate! The library is always calling me to set up curb side pickup. I have sooo many books already checked out so I put all my "holds" on suspension for now until I can get caught up a bit! 😄📚
Contributor

I have also not purchased a single book as all of mine are downloaded from the library and sent directly to my Kindle - FOR FREE!  My Kindle absolutely saved me during this Pandemic.

Valued Contributor

@house_cat 

@house_cat wrote:

I just reviewed my last couple of credit card statements, and almost every charge is for groceries or books!

Omgosh! I never thought of books as an expense, but wow!  I've spent a lot of money on Kindle books, hard copy books and audio books!

Is anyone else noticing that?

Yes!  I have ordered almost a dozen books so far!

Valued Contributor

@Appreciative  That's great!  I don't have a kindle!

Honored Contributor

I downloaded the app from my library. Have been reading this way since library is closed. No charge. 

Honored Contributor

My library is just beginning to open.  The last two weeks we could return any books we had at home.  Next two weeks we can pick up any books that were already waiting on the hold shelf when they closed.  Library is still closed to patrons.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I just reviewed my last couple of credit card statements, and almost every charge is for groceries or books!

Omgosh! I never thought of books as an expense, but wow!  I've spent a lot of money on Kindle books, hard copy books and audio books!

Is anyone else noticing that?

@house_cat 

I only purchase a brand new book if it's because I hope the author sells a lot of books.

I much prefer the size of a paperback when reading.  Hard covers are a bit unweildy because I like to read laying down.  

Anyway, in the last ten years or so, I've purchased dozens and dozens of paperbacks, slightly used read once, on Ebay.  People donate to local charities and those books often appear online for 3 or 4 dollars, sometimes less.  Many book sellers have the buy 3 get 1 free or discounts on the total.   The prices include free shipping.  When I'm done with a lot of the books I read, I donate them locally snd someone else can get a bargain.  

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  I've always borrowed books from the library. 
  I do t purchase them because I won't read them again and the expense. 
   Since the library closed I've been online with my I-pad and got the Libby AP. I purchased the blue readers that are good for eye strain from QVC. 
   I've read quite a lot of books this way. I do have to pay attention as to when they are due, it's 21 days. They have a request list and if I don't want one immediately I can delay it until the next is available. 
   I won't go back to the library, LOVE the AP!

Respected Contributor

I actually just bought my first book in years ("Caste"  Oprah pick).  I ALWAYS use my library! Was lost without it till they reopened but I had taken out 5 books in Feb so I had enough to keep me reading.