Honored Contributor

Breaking the bank with books lately?

I just reviewed my last couple of credit card statements, and almost every charge is for groceries or books!

Omgosh! I never thought of books as an expense, but wow!  I've spent a lot of money on Kindle books, hard copy books and audio books!

Is anyone else noticing that?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Breaking the bank with books lately?

MOM....is THAT YOU????

@house_cat  -

my mother was just telling me the exact same thing when I chatted with her last night, she's going overboard with books.

Groceries feed your body - books feed your mind.  

so enjoy your meals!

Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I just reviewed my last couple of credit card statements, and almost every charge is for groceries or books!

Omgosh! I never thought of books as an expense, but wow!  I've spent a lot of money on Kindle books, hard copy books and audio books!

Is anyone else noticing that?

----------------------------

no, I have downloaded all my books from the library, including my audiobooks and they are all free. In fact I'm on book 14 of a long series by Nalini Singh.

My library has the books and the audiobooks. If they don't have them there's probably 30,000 more that they do. I simply reserve it and they automatically download it when it comes back in. Just like a regular library book.

Respected Contributor

Oh my gosh .. I'm in the same boat .... I rarely keep a book .. so

when I looked at the pile to donate ... I said .. whoa ....a lot of

books ....but reading is my favorite thing .....

Honored Contributor

My statements are at least half Kindle books, sometimes more. I love to read and I love my Kindle , it's money well spent.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I have so many books to read and always enjoy browsing at Barnes and Noble for more.  If I see a book I am interested in or sounds good, I buy it.  It is one of the few stores I spare no expense!!!!!  Love books, always have, they relax me, I learn from them, I travel through them, I have been scared reading the thrillers, cried and laughed reading books.  A book takes you through so many emotions and is my escape.

Super Contributor

Yes, I am spending a lot also.  I read 2 a week and have a pile to donate or give to friends.  One way or the other they have to get into my car!

Respected Contributor

That would be me except I found my local library app and download books for free. 

Esteemed Contributor

Before I retired I always had hefty book charges because I never could finish my books from the library before they were due.  I have donated so many books to the library to clean things out.  I now rely on the library exclusively and books don't pile up.  i've been lucky that my neighbor has lent me books to read since the library closed. Yet, during these shut in months for some unknown reason I'm having trouble concentrating on reading much.

I'm so jealous seeing everyone's homes with loaded book shelves of people reporting on TV from their homes.  My ideal house would have a dedicated library/study.  Forget going to restaurants or shopping, my library is what I miss most.  Can't wait for them to open.

Valued Contributor

There are places that you can sell your finished books.

It might help in receiving money after you have read the book.

Either that or you can donate the books to libraries and or other locals and received a deduction on taxes next year.

I like books too and well have done some of these things.