Contributor

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell.  All the books in the Sparrow series are unforgettable.  

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyM23   The Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin 

and The Story of San Michelle by Axel Monthe

(although the later was hard reading because it skips from English to Italian. It’s  about his home on Capri)

Occasional Contributor

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Esteemed Contributor

The Art of Racing in the Rain is one of my favorite books.  When I was in school, I loved Ramona, Wuthering Heights, To Kill A Mockingbird, and so many more.

Victoria Thompson's Gaslight mysteries, as well as J.D. Robb's Eve Dallas myteries are ones that I enjoy, as well as some of the recipe-oriented mysteries like Booktown  and Key West.

Now, I am reading a Swedish mystery series that is so well written that the books are right up there with favorites.  It is difficult to find good translations, but these books are 5 star.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Frequent Contributor

Your favorites are so similar to mine. I've never read Benson, however, so I'm putting these books on my wish list immediately.  Thank you.  My late husband didn't enjoy either Brookner or Pym.  He said all Pym's books were all about bumble sales and having the vicar to tea.  I heartily disagreed.

Do you read Kate Atklnson?  I especially loved Life After Life and the Jackson Brodie quartet

Valued Contributor

A fascinating one I just finished is The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman.  

Esteemed Contributor

I read The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck in high school, and it became my very favorite book in the world. I'd never read a book about those years in China, and it was like I was reading about life on another planet. I've memorized certain passages, and have a precious First Edition copy, along with my other copies plus the one on my Kindle. I can open the book to any page and begin to read, and will know what's coming next.

There are many others I can call my favorites, but not as much as The Good Earth.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl , what is the name of the Swedish series/author?  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom   The author is Viveca Sten.  If you decide to read this good series, read the books in order--just a suggestion.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  I just finished the first two of Carole Lawrence's books set in Edinburgh that you might like, if you like mysteries.  They do not have the romance that is in Viveca Sten's books.  Edinburgh Twilight (Book 1) and Ednburgh Dusk.   These are the Ian Hamilton mysteries, set in the late 1800's and very good.