Contributor

Books set during The Great Depression

I recently finished The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah and loved it. Historical fiction is my preferred genre but I tend to gravitate to WW2 era. Can anyone recommend any historical fiction set during the Great Depression and/or the Dust Bowl? I would really love to read more about that time period in history. Thank you in advance!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Books set during The Great Depression

Off hand can't recommend any like that for you but, I agree I too love historical fiction. I will check out the series you recommended  here. Anxious to see other recommendations. Have a great day @catlover00 

Frequent Contributor

following

Regular Contributor

One that came to mind is THIS TENDER LAND by William Kent Krueger and if you haven't read his ORDINARY GRACE I recommend it.  I think ORDINARY GRACE is set in the 60s but I guess by now that's historical.

THE FOUR WINDS is next up on our book club list and I have been looking forward to it.

Esteemed Contributor

"The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. This seems like an obvious choice, but it is a wonderful book. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Dorothy Garlock wrote many historical fiction before she passed in 2018.  My favorite is the below, I have read it several times.  Family and staying and "fighting" to stay together.  Sometimes fighting each other.  "The Edge Of Town"

In Fertile, Missouri in 1922, Julie Jones helps raise her brothers and sisters on her father's farm, while a series of rapes shocks the town, newcomer Birdie Stuart threatens Julie's family, and Evan Johnson, who is courting Julie, faces murder charges.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Contributor

@pachutabelle - I did read This Tender Land at the beginning of the year and it was WONDERFUL! I have recommended it to anyone I know who is a reader of historical fiction or coming of age novels. I have Ordinary Grace on my shelf and need to make an effort to pick it up soon. My husband listened to it on audiobook and really enjoyed it.

Contributor

@beckyb1012, I have never heard of that author. I just looked it up on Goodreads. All 4 books in the series sound really good! There really are so many hidden gems out there. Thank you for letting me know!
Trusted Contributor

@catlover00 

There is a cute series of murder mysteries called "Grace and Favor" by Jill Churchill. A penniless brother and sister inherit a mansion on the Hudson River during the Depression. There were 5-6 books in the series.

Super Contributor

@catlover00 

I really liked "Stormy Weather" by Paulette Jiles.

Also "Half Broke Horses"; which the author, Jeanette Walls, describes as a "true life novel". 

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".