Honored Contributor

Re: Books - Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

I have several friends who are teachers and 2 friends who are librarians.  They don't like the idea of the book coming out at all.

They all feel like if she'd wanted it out, she'd have published it.  Not that it makes a difference but most of these people don't know each other so it's not like they discussed it with each other.

It seems like people either love the idea or hate it.

Respected Contributor

I'm going to read Go Set A Watchman for what it is.  A first draft that became To Kill a Mockingbird.  If Atticus is pictured differently it won't affect how I feel about something that has been a classic for over 50 years.  It will be an interesting glimpse into the author's mind and how she turned Go Set a Watchman into To Kill A Mockingbird.

Honored Contributor

My book came today,from amazon.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm disappointed.  I have not ordered the book yet, and had every intention to, but now I don't know.  Atticus Finch is/was an iconic figure in literature and it's his character in TKAM that is so admirable, in so many ways.  It's disappointing to me to learn now that he is the complete opposite in the new GSAW and now I don't know if I'll read it.  

Honored Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

I'm going to read Go Set A Watchman for what it is.  A first draft that became To Kill a Mockingbird.  If Atticus is pictured differently it won't affect how I feel about something that has been a classic for over 50 years.  It will be an interesting glimpse into the author's mind and how she turned Go Set a Watchman into To Kill A Mockingbird.

Exactly.

Beautiful avatar, BTW.

Respected Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

Way to go!  You could not have said it better.  

Respected Contributor
Honored Contributor

Maureen Corrigan, book reviewer for Fresh Air, said the book was a "mess."  I haven't read it myself, but it seems Go Set A Watchman isn't Harper Lee's best work. 

Maureen Corrigan's review

Esteemed Contributor

To Kill a Mockingbird was the first class set of novels I purchased for my classroom. I read it five times this past school year. It's one of those books that gets better with additional readings. Last spring I was very excited about the release of Go Set a Watchman, but I have become disenchanted since learning about the different version of Atticus. I suppose I will read, but I almost dread to see what happens!
Honored Contributor

I feel like I have been on the hold list forever at the Library.  I am number 2 on the list and they ordered several so I expect to hear from them today. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."